A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How durable is the double sided "tape" used on some body kits especially in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1998, 05:20 PM
JFL

How durable is the double sided "tape" used on some body kits especially in winter?
Old 10-21-1998, 06:51 PM
HermanH

Default Will get brittle over time

My 86' GTI used double-sided tape for all of the side moldings; about 5 years ago, most of that molding started to come unglued. The tape is still on the car to this day but nearly impossible to take off without scraping the paint a little.<br>IMO, tape is only good for just holding a body part on while your drilling the permanent holes for the screws. Still, there are those that want the option to be able to "peel off" that expensive body panel should the day come where they are tired of the look, selling the car, or it get's damaged beyond repair. But what I found works equally as well is the silicone based glue; generically, people call it "Shoe-Goo" since it's orinial purpose was to repair tennis shoes; however, Shoe-<br>Goo is blue in color.<br>The stuff I get at the hobby store (E5000 ???) Is a clear version of that. Most R/C racers use it to reinforce cracked lexan bodies, hold down servo's, and building battery packs. The stuff is resistant to gasoline, oil, and at least 110 deg. heat (we temp'd the ground at a race one day and that's what we were racing at! The best thing about the E5000 was it would come off easier than tape even after a few years. This is due to the fact it's dry's to a semi-flexible state and the strength is such that pulling one piece of the silicone allows the rest of the glue to go with it.<p>The drawback to the Silicone method is it's a bit messy if you don't apply it correctly and it takes at least 1 hour before you can leave it (i.e. use clamps to hold things in place.) As a compromise, I would suggest using a few pieces of doublesided tape to allow it to hold the body panel in place while the glue dries.<p>Just my 0.02<p>HermanH<br>98.5 Passat 1.8tm
Old 10-22-1998, 03:47 AM
Raja

Default Re: Shoe-Goo

What would you recommend for applying badges to the rear of the 1.8t? I want to re-apply the "1.8t" back on the car, but don't know what to use. Would the Shoe-Goo serve this purpose?