A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How to fit the pressure plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fit the pressure plate?

The Bentley talks about white paint on the flywheel and pressure plate that is supposed to line up when refitting. My flywheel has no paint, and neither does my new pressure plate. Is this another situation where things are unevenly spaced so that there is only one possible way it fits together, or is the pressure plate symmetrical with regard it its alignment dowels? It just seems like the top doesn't want to go all the way in, so the bolts don't thread at the top..... Any help is always appreciated.

edir:
The flywheel was the OEM one, which I had machined. I guess the dowels don't exactly line up with the pressure plate holes. The wheel has three segments where the surface is raised up. In each of these three segments, there are three dowel holes. The dowels are in the midle of each of these holes. Is this correct? If not, what should it be? ATW engine and 01A transmission.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:06 PM

Default You have more damn clutch questions than anyone I know...

But it's all good... I did the same thing! LOL! I had to sort of "beat" on the pressure plate to get mine on... Did you also have the surface where the dowels go into, machined? It should have been machined the same ammount as the fly surface... As for the paint, ignor that comment... I had no paint either...
Old 06-28-2008, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You're right...

I do have a lot of questions.... Mainly it's because I'm too gentle, scared to break something, and worried that I got the wrong part. If I took a photo of my pregress every time Iposted a clutch question... well, you'd have a flipbook with a pretty god framerate that could be the next "how-to video

The first place I took the FW to said they could not machine that step, so they wouldn't do it (thankfully. The place that did the work DID do the step correctly.

I got it in by forcing things a bit, putting the longest dowel through its corresponding hle, and put bolts around the other two holes, just enough to start threading. Then I used a dead-blow hammer to "tap" the remaining holes onto their dowels. It's now on and torqued, and I am looking up the torque for the slave cyl bolt. I posted in detail to help out the next guy who runs into this... or perhaps to remind myself when it needs to be done again

I am hoping to have the car done before I go to bed.At this point, I'm just reusing old parts, so I'm hoping everything will just go back. Funny, though... I couldn't find the POS at the beginning of the jo, and never really located it. The wires weren't in the way, so I ignored it.... Ya think my car was modded and then reverted when it was sold?