A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

how long can we expect the fuel pump to last

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how long can we expect the fuel pump to last

my 96 A4 has 123,000 on it, should I just replace the fuel pump or will it tell me when its dying. I don't want to get stuck some place. what has been owners experience with the fuel pump breaking down?? how easy is it to replace. One thing I haven't done yet on the car. Still seems to be ok..
Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

It will last until it breaks. Life expectancy is related to number times the car was run out of fuel, fuel filter changes, exterior temp, etc.

There is no set mileage for failure.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

I can tell you exactly how long mine lasted; 187K. I bought a new one from highflowfuel.com in Santa Barbara CA for $87 shipped. Their own brand, it looked identical to the VDO that came out, and they claim thousands in use. Its working fine, though only a few hundred miles so far.

When the original quit, it just about left me stranded in a dangerous place in traffic, I was fortunate that the A4 coasted to a safe spot. It just totally quit without warning. When I checked for continuity at the connector later, it was completely open.

If you want to be safe and change the thing, run your gas low so you are not dealing with fuel. On my FWD '96, remove the round cover under the trunk mat, disconnect the electrical connector, the two hoses (mark flow on at least one), and unscrew the large plastic ring. There is a squeeze-connector for the fuel return line, accessible when you lift the plastic cover from its rubber gasket. Disconnect that, and pull the rubber gasket off the tank so you have more room to work. You'll see the pump assembly, which has notches in a round mounting structure. Use a long screwdriver to tap this counter-clockwise about 10 degrees, this will release the pump from the mount. When the pump is loose, you can lift it and plastic tank cover, with discharge hose between them, out of the car. There will be a crimp-clamp at the pump to pry open, to get the hose off. At this point, I made a sketch for reassembly; how the pump was orientated compared to the plastic top. Remove the nuts for the pump wires, then connect the new pump to the hose and wires. The nuts and wire terminals are different sizes so you can't mix them. I used the same clamp, after bending it back to a usable shape, then re-crimping the hose with it. Better to use a brand new one. Put it all back together, and that's it.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 283k miles and havent had to change it yet.

Originally Posted by turbo510
I can tell you exactly how long mine lasted; 187K. I bought a new one from highflowfuel.com in Santa Barbara CA for $87 shipped. Their own brand, it looked identical to the VDO that came out, and they claim thousands in use. Its working fine, though only a few hundred miles so far.

When the original quit, it just about left me stranded in a dangerous place in traffic, I was fortunate that the A4 coasted to a safe spot. It just totally quit without warning. When I checked for continuity at the connector later, it was completely open.

If you want to be safe and change the thing, run your gas low so you are not dealing with fuel. On my FWD '96, remove the round cover under the trunk mat, disconnect the electrical connector, the two hoses (mark flow on at least one), and unscrew the large plastic ring. There is a squeeze-connector for the fuel return line, accessible when you lift the plastic cover from its rubber gasket. Disconnect that, and pull the rubber gasket off the tank so you have more room to work. You'll see the pump assembly, which has notches in a round mounting structure. Use a long screwdriver to tap this counter-clockwise about 10 degrees, this will release the pump from the mount. When the pump is loose, you can lift it and plastic tank cover, with discharge hose between them, out of the car. There will be a crimp-clamp at the pump to pry open, to get the hose off. At this point, I made a sketch for reassembly; how the pump was orientated compared to the plastic top. Remove the nuts for the pump wires, then connect the new pump to the hose and wires. The nuts and wire terminals are different sizes so you can't mix them. I used the same clamp, after bending it back to a usable shape, then re-crimping the hose with it. Better to use a brand new one. Put it all back together, and that's it.