A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

how much difference does a sway bar make?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much difference does a sway bar make?

i don't like the way my car leans in the turns.... my former integra was a lot tighter around the corners with the same set up as my A4 (neuspeed sport/bilstein sport) of course i have the non-sport package so i herd the sway bars are pretty thin...is it worth the money to upgrade? and if so which is more important the front or rear?.... thanks in advance....
Old 04-07-2001, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it helps...do the front...then the rear...
Old 04-07-2001, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you do the front first, won't it understeer more? Maybe you should do the back first...

if you're worried about understeer too.
Old 04-07-2001, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, i'd like to do the same, retain the stock nice ride, but get some better cornering
Old 04-07-2001, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well he never mentioned understeer...he seemed more concerned with roll stiffness

and not so much with understeer. I'm not sure but I think the non sport and sport Audi's may use the same rear bar, could be wrong there. But I know for a fact the OEM front bar is bigger...I think it's 27mm the same as the Neuspeed part...so I would suggest that if someone wanted less roll stiffness you're more likely to get it with a front bar than a rear bar. Besides 19mm rear bar with a non sport front bar could be downright dangerous...a car that pushes is always safer than oversteer.

So I still stand by my first statement...front first...rear next.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Koni Coil-Overs, Neuspeed 19mm Rear Anti-Sway, StopTech A4 Brake System, SS Brake Lines, Pagid Performance Friction (soon), Oettinger Pedal Set + Dead, Oettinger RE's 17x8, Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, European Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV & RS4 Grill)
Old 04-07-2001, 03:57 PM

Default thats what i was thinking.....oh and may i ask hows your neuspeed s.s.? i was thinking about getting

one too and we havethe same year car.....thanks
Old 04-07-2001, 04:02 PM

thanks for the advice!
Old 04-07-2001, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

There is a lot more mass in the front that will try to sway the body.
Old 04-07-2001, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mutually exclusive ideas...esp as it pretains to sway bars. Sway bars in short will make your fully

independent front and rear (assuming Quattro) suspension system less independent by basically tying them together with a torsion beam. If you apply force to one wheel it will be applied to the other wheel as well. As you corner hard and strong force is applied to say the right front tire pushing it upward this force is transfered to the left front wheel via the sway bar...the effect is the the left front wheel and suspension apply counter force via the sway bar onto the right front wheel the result less body roll...but at the same time a less independent suspension results since they're (each wheel) less able to articulate over varied surfaces, more force gets transferred into the chassis than there would be if the two sides were fully de-coupled.

Imagine a case where you roll over a speed bump with only your right front tire. W/O a sway bar the right tire would be more, "free" to move upward w/o unsettling the state of the left front wheel...the result would be a slight leftward roll caused by the spring force of the suspension in the right hand side of the car. Now toss on the sway bar and run over the same bump...the right wheel begins to move upward applying force to the well, "planted" left front wheel vai the sway bar...as a result of this exchange of force the right front wheel doesn't not move up as freely and the car rolls to the left much more then w/o the sway bar...sounds counterintuitive but it's the case. The sway bar reduces body roll on a flat even surface...over varied surfaces it can actually cause the car to roll back and forth a lot more than if there were no bar or a smaller bar in place.

It's a compromise no matter what you do...you just have to sort out your priorities and make decisions based on those priorities.

BTW - Is your handle related to the Vogon's in HGG?

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Koni Coil-Overs, Neuspeed 19mm Rear Anti-Sway, StopTech A4 Brake System, SS Brake Lines, Pagid Performance Friction (soon), Oettinger Pedal Set + Dead, Oettinger RE's 17x8, Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, European Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV & RS4 Grill)
Old 04-07-2001, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, it is, this is the first forum i've been in where people actually know the reference

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: how much difference does a sway bar make?