A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

how much fluid from ac under car is normal after turning off ignition? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-1999, 01:42 PM
rosco

Default how much fluid from ac under car is normal after turning off ignition? (more)

i'm not sure whether my car has a leak, but there seems to be an awful lot of clear fluid under the car (front right tire) every time i switch off the ignition. it's not green fluid, so it's not the radiator, but i'm trying to figure out if my ac is leaky.

thanks
Old 09-06-1999, 02:50 PM
Gordon Martin

Default Depends on the humidity in the air...

As air cools, it's ability to hold water is diminished. The water is deposited on any surface that is willing to accept it (usually the coldest surface around). As the air conditioner attempts to cool the air coming into the car, the air dumps it's moisture that it can no longer carry onto the coldest item around - the A/C unit itself. The car is not going to hold onto this fluid, but rather drain it off to the road below.

If the air is dry, you will get almost no water under your car. If the air is incredibly moist and humid, you could get as much as a cup of water under your car.

I'm sure your fine - smell the fluid if your worried ;-)

Gordon Martin
98.5 2.8QMS (Santorin Blue)
Old 09-06-1999, 06:55 PM
Zsan

Default Re: Depends on the humidity in the air...

I've just purchased a 1.8t and within a week of owning it I too have experienced lots of fluid underneath the car. I can see the trail as I park so I know it does not only happen when the ignition is off. I don't know about the humidity but I live in Tucson and the temp here has been in the upper 90's to low 100's and it is relatively dry.
Old 09-06-1999, 07:46 PM
Christopher Lloyd

Normal condensation from A/C. I get a pool about 1 foot across.
Old 09-07-1999, 09:37 AM
Dank

Default The a/c is not leaking... (more)

The water under your car is coming from the a/c, but not from IN the a/c. It is just normal condensation, and a sign that the a/c in the A4 is very good. Get a glass of cold water and take it outside on a hot day. The glass isn't leaking, but you will notice a puddle of water under the glass... That is all that is happening with your a/c.