A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How much hp and torque gains can I expect (2.8L) Major Project!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much hp and torque gains can I expect (2.8L) Major Project!

How much hp and torque gains can I expect (2.8L) Major Project!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all I know this is a crazy idea, dont be saying you should of bought the 2.7t or 1.8t, NO MONEY FOR IT IN PAST! 1.8t wasnt available in area.

alright here are some new question and some old, I can order my psitons any comp ratio I want. I was thinking 10.5(stock is 10.3) at first but il only gain 1hp and toque im guessing. but if I do 13.1 like in the old days Il gain about 6% (so about 20hp gain) more hp and torque. Heres my question if I was to do 13.1 how would I avoid pinging with out putting higher octane gas? What compression ratio will I be safe with by using 93 octane? can I retard the ignition timing?How so?
Il be posting my guess next to each part of gain not sure about torque gain thou help guess that too. (rounded to near 5's)Also How much parts cost.

Well here is my other question, How much can I bore out my engine? Heres my second question, how much gain can I expect from forged internals(guessing min 40hp gain,$1200), increased comp ratio(Il add up when I get suggestions for this)(suggest what I should do, daily driver car also,dont mind paying for alot of gas except racing fuel), with bore out engine(10hp guessing since I heard it cant be bored out much $100),port and polish everything (25hp, at home project maybe some help 100$)

Underdrive pulleys (5hp,220$)maybe so I wont add to hp guess yet..

,custom exhuast headers(10hp,300$), giac tuning(350$)----

GIAC chips for the 30V 2.8

+10 hp, 10 ft/lbs torque, and sharper throttle response ---maybe il see more of a gain with my setup?let me know what you think.
7100 RPM REV Limiter, Vehicle speed limiter removed.

incuding coldair intake(13hp it was dynoed so lets say 10hp),exhuast muffler(5hp).

how much can I expect please tell me(My guess is 100-120hp?) (2100$ is my guess) the only guess im not sure about is the forged internals, but thats what I read online what to expect.

my money limit is 2500$(maybe 3000$) im saving 5000$ hopefully 6000$ this summer and half of it will go into the car.

If my estimates are correct il be seeing around 300hp and idk bout torque but 315 torque! stock specs is 193hp and 207 torq. so thats 50% gain! and half the price of the supercharger! I was also thinking of saving a few extra $ and buy wet shot, and get it to be 50 shot.

Even if I get to 250hp il be happy with that. let me know what you guys think about my Summer project(Donations parts would be nice)
Old 01-13-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

If you *must* go this route, the biggest bang for the buck will be to open up and tune the engine you have. Get rid of the MAF, install an bigger exhaust, and go with stand alone fuel injection.

You are planning on spending a ton of money (though not nearly enough for what you hope to achieve) on a bunch of internals, then you are going back to the stock engine management with a chip.

I'm seeing S4's in the $7k range these days, BTW.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought the car for 2000$.. haha it was a steal! nice seats and everything. what do you mean by open up and tune?How to get rid of MAF? when I bought it I checked sparkplugs nad everything, nothing was wrong but now I got oil in my spark valve, so im going to do a a overhaul even thou its prob just a gasket. I was thinking about the fuel injection also but i dont know where I can get this done.
The kit im getting includes

Complete Gasket Set
MLS Head Gasket
Wiseco/ROSS Forged Pistons
(82.5, 83 mm Bore) and
(8.5-1mm comp ratio)or whatever I choose which will obviously be higher then that.

Plasma Moly Rings
Performance Wrist Pins
TOGA HP Main Bearings
TOGA HP Rod Bearings
Timing Belt

but anyways I need answers to my questions all of them, nobody is answering them. I need real answers!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hightone64
what do you mean by open up and tune?How to get rid of MAF? I was thinking about the fuel injection also but i dont know where I can get this done.

Complete Gasket Set
MLS Head Gasket
Wiseco/ROSS Forged Pistons
(82.5, 83 mm Bore) and
(8.5-1mm comp ratio)or whatever I choose which will obviously be higher then that.

Plasma Moly Rings
Performance Wrist Pins
TOGA HP Main Bearings
TOGA HP Rod Bearings
Timing Belt

but anyways I need answers to my questions all of them, nobody is answering them. I need real answers!
It sounds like you are building strong motor. However none of that will make your car go faster.

Only increasing fuel and air will increase performance.

Find a used PES supercharger and bolt it on (assuming this car is a 30 valve). If this is a 12 valve you are dreaming.

Last edited by AudiMick; 01-13-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Tech Guru

The 30v engine is basically bulletproof. Do a leakdown test to make sure the engine is healthy. The MAF is restrictive; write it out of the program.

I cringe every time is see what you intend to do. Oddly, I feel bad for the perfectly healthy engine that will give it's for this project.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nope its 30v i was thinking about a used one but I dont have that cash or else I would! I found someone selling s g1 for 2000 but he never responded back, this was when I had money. If I could buy one for 2000 this summer il buy it and just clean the engine inside and out. I can buy a rebuild kit for 650$ and buy the supercharger.
I thought so about the forged internals but alot of people kepted on telling me it could do me alot, thanks for supporting me.
Im still going to rebuild thou atleast, but not sure about forged pistons.
my car is almost getting at 170k miles should I expect it to be bored out naturally? will the rest of the mods be worth it? Like I said How much can I expect with all the mods il be doing and mods I already have
Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The 30v engine is basically bulletproof. Do a leakdown test to make sure the engine is healthy. The MAF is restrictive; write it out of the program.

I cringe every time is see what you intend to do. Oddly, I feel bad for the perfectly healthy engine that will give it's for this project.
I understand about cringe part but the car is slowly breaking down on me, I still wouldnt know how to write it out of the program.. the Giac place im taking it to said if I get high flow cats it will send out a code but he could trick it, would it be the same as the MAF?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Guru

i was thinking about a used one but I dont have that cash or else I would!
I find comments like this absolutely baffling. You don't have the money for the supercharger, yet somehow you have the cash for a complete engine rebuild using high quality parts.

Very confusing.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I find comments like this absolutely baffling. You don't have the money for the supercharger, yet somehow you have the cash for a complete engine rebuild using high quality parts.

Very confusing.
The supercharger is $4,995.00 new... I dont have that type of money.. If I did I would do all this with comp ratio of 8.5, twin turbo, dyno tuned. If I had that money I already know exactly how to twin turbo it. Dont ask how pretty much just use the 2.7t headers and buy the rest of the parts your self. I dont have 5000$ to spare, do you?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Tech Guru

I understand about cringe part but the car is slowly breaking down on me, I still wouldnt know how to write it out of the program.. the Giac place im taking it to said if I get high flow cats it will send out a code but he could trick it, would it be the same as the MAF?
Breaking down? Then why dump a boatload of time and money into an engine project? On a 30v A4, the engine is the least likely thing to break. Save that money you want to burn, enjoy the car in stock form and repair the things that break.

I asked before if you need the car to pass OBD2 emissions. I don't remember your reply. If you do need to pass OBD2, forget about stand alone. For simple tailpipe sniff, you can run anything you want. You can write out the rear O2 sensors too.

Quick Reply: How much hp and torque gains can I expect (2.8L) Major Project!