A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How to remove CD Changer from the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove CD Changer from the trunk?

I bought the Precision Interface Electronics Auxiliary input for the Audi A4 which requires you to plug in the 13 pin connection to the cable that goes into the CD changer thus rendering your CD useless after you do that. The issue I am having is figuring out how to remove that CD Changer to get to that cable. Would anyone be able to instruct me on what I need to do to access this?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4V6
I bought the Precision Interface Electronics Auxiliary input for the Audi A4 which requires you to plug in the 13 pin connection to the cable that goes into the CD changer thus rendering your CD useless after you do that. The issue I am having is figuring out how to remove that CD Changer to get to that cable. Would anyone be able to instruct me on what I need to do to access this?

Thanks
Year and model would help.

They moved it around.
An adapter that plugs into the head unit is so much easier and covenient.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2000 Audi a4 V6

Yes an adapter that plugs in the head unit would be much easier but I did not realize that one existed after Enfig sold me the auxiliary unit that hooks up to the CD changer in the trunk. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut guess what? There is no 13-pin connector in the trunk.

In the 30 minute process this took outside in the bitter Chicago cold, I first unscrewed the plastic mold thats in the trunk that helps hold the carpet wall on the left side. I popped out the carpet wall and tediously unscrewed the bolts which were very hard to reach. I take out the bracket that is holding the CD changer and I come to find that there is no 13-pin connector in existence!

Now even if there was a connector, that whole process is very tedious and annoying just to get the auxiliary unit in and I am very unhappy about this! You can't simply take the changer out with a couple of screws, you have to take out the whole bracket.

Someone please tell I am wrong and an idiot.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2000 Audi a4 V6

Yes an adapter that plugs in the head unit would be much easier but I did not realize that one existed after Enfig sold me the auxiliary unit that hooks up to the CD changer in the trunk. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut guess what? There is no 13-pin connector in the trunk.

In the 30 minute process this took outside in the bitter Chicago cold, I first unscrewed the plastic mold thats in the trunk that helps hold the carpet wall on the left side. I popped out the carpet wall and tediously unscrewed the bolts which were very hard to reach. I take out the bracket that is holding the CD changer and I come to find that there is no 13-pin connector in existence!

Now even if there was a connector, that whole process is very tedious and annoying just to get the auxiliary unit in and I am very unhappy about this! You can't simply take the changer out with a couple of screws, you have to take out the whole bracket.

Someone please tell I am wrong and an idiot.
'

Panasonic changer is OEM with a 13 pin DIN (round plug). And yes the whole thing comes out, the bracket is part of the option kit.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Panasonic? All I am saying is that there is no 13 pin din connector
Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Panasonic? All I am saying is that there is no 13 pin din connector
This is what the cable coming out of the changer looks like.One of the pics shows the fly-lead

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CD-CH...fAudioQ5fVideo

If there is no cable the changer wouldn't work so it as to be connected somehow.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wish I could buy you a ticket and fly you out here to show you that there is no cable like that. The reason I got this thing in the first place is because the CD changer and single CD slot up front both do not read disks.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I wish I could buy you a ticket and fly you out here to show you that there is no cable like that. The reason I got this thing in the first place is because the CD changer and single CD slot up front both do not read disks.
What is the history of this car?

Is the correct stereo in the car?

Here's a list of valid stereos, your car should probably have a Symphony I.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html

If it has the Symphony I, did either CD ever work while you have owned the car?

External CD changer and cable were an option added by the dealer after 1999.Prior to that all cars had the loom installed for a changer.

The Symphony is also programmable via Audi Diagnostics, it is possible to disable both the internal CD unit and the external changer by having the wrong coding set by VAGtool/ Vag.com.
If that were the case selections on the radio would be limited to radio and cassette only.

That info is here at the bottom of the page.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/symphony.html

You need access to a VAG.com to check and change the codes.

I have actually seen cars with CD changers and no cables before, however in both cases a previous owner had purchased the changer at a later date from somewhere like E-Bay and installed it but after discovering there was no interface cable had given up.

This is what the cable looks like, it's a PhatBox (Audi Accessory) player but it's the same. This runs from the back of the stereo head unit to the trunk. If you have radio keys you might take a peak behind the head unit to see if that "blue" plug exists.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...fAudioQ5fVideo

I probably wouldn't bother trying to run that cable. Return the PIE and get a Blitzsafe or GROM unit plug that directly into the head unit.