A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How to test for worn tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to test for worn tie rods?

Hello, i'm susspecting my inner tie rod ends are in a bad condition, but i'm not sure if i'm testing the right way...

The first i did was to take out the key, and lock the steering wheel.
Then i lifted one wheel in the ground and tried to wiggle the wheel back and forward (like i'm steering). With some force i could barely move the wheel to see some minor play in the upper control arms (think they are somewhat worn). So no big movements.

With both wheels in the ground i can, with little force, wiggle the wheel back and forward. I don't see any movement on the outer tie rod ends when doing this, so i guess there must be some movement in the inner part of the tie rod concidering i'm able to produce some play in the upper control arms..

So.. with one wheel on the ground:_minor_ movement in the tie rod and upper control arms.

With both wheels in the air, i can easially wiggle the wheel with a clunking noise when it stops.

Whats the proper way to test this? With only one wheel in the air, or both?

Thanks

Johs
Old 07-12-2009, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I meant with both wheels in the air i can easially wiggle...
Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default With the wheel in the air (one at a time is fine)...

put your hand over the ball joint and wiggle the road wheel. If you can feel movement between the two sides of the joint get it replaced. The ball joints wear out easy on this model, and if it comes apart when you are a speed it can get real exciting (and not the good kind) really fast.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

There's no movement in the outer tie rod joint.

Just wondered if it was normal that i could wiggle both wheels back and forward when both wheels are in the air (i think the wheel on the other side moves too when i wiggle either one)

With only one wheel in the air there is hardly any movement
Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sure, that is normal.

nt
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks David

This information certainly lessened my frustration!
I've got abit mixed signals regarding the same question, so i hope you're the one who's right

Is the clunk when the wheel comes to a stop (both back and forward, on both wheels) normal too then?

I was getting worried that i had to replace the whole steering rack or something because of this..

Johs.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Might also be normal...

the rack has a spring loaded sliding piece that pushes the rack into the pinon to remove lash, when I push my wheels into the stop with the car in the air it will make a thud as the rack pushes the spring in, then returns to the normal position. Mine was a bit loose, so I adjusted it, took some noise and slop out of the steering. As far as your rack is concerned if it is not leaking you are likely fine. The boots will have fluid in them if there is an issue (it doesn't always get out right away), you can feel if there is excess fluid in the boots just be squeezing them. You should have already felt though them to see the condition of your inner tie rod ends (although those only fail once in a while).