A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How windshields and window tints severly affect Radar Detectors...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-1999, 08:36 AM
Marcus Frost

Default How windshields and window tints severly affect Radar Detectors...

I was poking aronud the net and came across an article on how windshields and window tints really effect how well your radar detector works. I also found out on how the amount of sunlight emitted also effects how well a radar detector works. I was reading over on valentine1.com (Link below) and it explained nicely how radar detectors sense laser. To a radar detector, laser is like a little beam of light, if it's really sunny, it's hard to see, at night it's easy to see. Just like us, having glass in front of us or tint on our front window hinders our radar detector's ability to pick up laser.<p>Some of the most striking points I read :<p>The least harmful windshields cut laser detecting by 60%! Most harmful ones up to 80%.<p>The top tint on windows also hurts laser detecting a lot, any of you who have a valentine 1 mounted where there is that top window tint should reconsider where you mount it, as the tint affects how well it works.<p>Road splash hurt the detector so bad, they had to stop and wash the windshield so it would actually be somewhat functional.<p>With this said, I think we need to devise a way to mount a V1 on the outside of our cars, but in a place that does not stick out or will fall. Having it outside seems to be the best place after reading this, and personally I'm not planning on mounting my V1 on the inside of my A4. If I found a better place to mount it, I'll post here. If anyone else has, please let us know.<p>Marcus Frost<br>99.5 1.8TQM (F Status)
Old 07-04-1999, 05:58 PM
John

Default Re: How windshields and window tints severly affect Radar Detectors...

Not too wise to mount a V-1 outside the car--not designed for that. It IS designed to be put inside the car and will give you more warning than any reasonably prudent person needs.<p>The V-1, like all radar detectors, must SEE the radar, which means to see over obstacles, it must be mounted relatively high. How on earth will the rear-facing antenna "see" anything to the rear if it is mounted outside the car? Do you intend to mount it on the roof?<p>Read the instructions that come with the V-1. Nowhere does it suggest you should mount it outside the car. It DOES say the ideal spot to mount it is high on the windshield, UNLESS it has a heavily tinted band at the top. The A-4 doesn't have this.
Old 07-05-1999, 10:26 AM
Marcus Frost

Mounting it on the side view mirror?
Old 07-05-1999, 02:55 PM
John

Default Surely you can't be serious!!!

NT