A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I am concerned the Avant 1.8T is underpowered...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 03:13 PM
Mike

Default I am concerned the Avant 1.8T is underpowered...

I'm buying my wife a small wagon in about three months. We just started looking. I'd like to spend about 30K and I really like the A4 Avant 1.8T (auto). Unfortunately, I am concerned that the car may feel underpowered.

The Volvo V40 is much quicker 0-60 (about 8.6) vs. 0-60 in 10.1 for the Audi. The new BMW 323i wagon will be about 32K but has a 2.5 inline-6 and should also run about 8.5 seconds.

I have heard good results with chips in the Audi 1.8 Turbo motor... up to 190 hp with just a chip.

Does a chip void your warranty? Can the dealer tell you have one?

(Please don't suggest I get the 2.8 V6, I don't want to spend the money)

Thanks!
Old 11-10-1999, 03:18 PM
Steve

Default if you have the doe, buy a car that already has the power you want.

If the 1.8T dosnt have the power you want dont buy it. Audis are costly to fix without a warenty and hey, lets face it.. if your bosting power you will also be fixing. I hear they have 4000$ cash back on the a6 avant right now....
Old 11-10-1999, 03:23 PM
PC

Me own Avant, I chip APR, I GO QUICK QUICK now,you buy & chip, stop worry all time, ENJOY the RIDE
Old 11-10-1999, 03:28 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Ummm, errr...A6 Avant starts at $37k or so...

....a bit more than Mike was looking to spend.

And I respectfully disagree with your statement about "if your (sic) bosting (sic) power you will also be fixing". I've got 45,000 miles on my chipped 1.8T and she's going strong without a significant problem yet. Of course, YMMV.

Andy Hedin
Old 11-10-1999, 03:29 PM
Steve

But .. Hey,, its not underpowered. The torque is great in real world driving., I long for a TDI A4
Old 11-10-1999, 03:53 PM
Mike

Default You guys are fast with the responses!

My wife is driving a 1997 Toyota 4Runner now, so my concern isn't that she won't win drag races but rather she won't feel gutless on the road (the 4Runner does pretty well up to about 45 mph with the 3.4 V6 - but it's a dog on the freeway).

She loves the A4, but has yet to drive it. I'm pushing her into the A4 pretty hard because I'm impressed with the Audi engineering and Quattro driveline.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be back for more...
Old 11-10-1999, 04:11 PM
Shabbis

Default The 1.8T Avant will blow away the 4Runner in every category...(long)

The 1.8T Avant will blow away the 4Runner in every category, except maybe interior volume and ride height. But in terms of build quality, style, freeway and city handling, Audi Advantage program, Quattro and overall class, the A4 blows the 4Runner away.

A note on chipping:
Remember, in the US the dealer has to be able to prove that your aftermarket chip (if you chose to add one) is the cause of the issues that might arise thereby voiding your warranty. Some dealers hassle over it more than others. I would be straightforward and go to the dealer's service manager where you are looking at the Avant and ask him what their stance is on chips.

Also, do you want to know how a chipped 1.8T Avant would feel like? Take a 2.8 Avant out for a spin. The 2.8 will be smoother and a little quieter, but the power will be about the same (and potentially more in the 1.8T with higher boost chips).

Also, if you and your wife love to drive then you'll fall in love with the Avant the second you slip behind the wheel (especially coming from a 4Runner). I went from a '92 Legacy Wagon to a 99 Miata to a 99.5 A4 2.8QMS. I now consider the Subaru a "point A to point B" type of vehicle after spending 6 months with my A4.
Old 11-10-1999, 04:14 PM
mm

Default This has been covered a bazillion times. Search the archives...

...under chip and warranty and you will find as much info on chipping as you could ever want.

The short answers are:

1. Chipping "probably" will not affect your warranty. It is up to the manufacturer to prove that the chip somehow caused problems to deny warranty coverage.

2. The dealer "probably" will be able to detect the chip, but only if they are really looking for it. Putting in a new chip generates a fault code in the car's diagnostic system to indicate that power to the ECU was disrupted, or something like that.
Old 11-10-1999, 06:31 PM
dand

as long as you get a manual transmision your set
Old 11-10-1999, 08:13 PM
Uzanak

Default Your wife won't be racing all the time will she?

I am thinking about getting my wife a Avant 1.8T tip also. As long as she gets Quattro and sport pkg, I know I will be happy and she will be too.(she better)Good pickup and great style and safety features.

Uzanak
00 S4

Quick Reply: I am concerned the Avant 1.8T is underpowered...