A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I am Considering a B5 Audi A4 1.8T to Modify?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am Considering a B5 Audi A4 1.8T to Modify?

I am considering buying an Audi A4 1.8T manual transmission with quattro as hobby car. I like the size and AWD. I also like the solid build quality. I am a little worried about the reliability. Realistically speaking this thing will probably have some issues for sure, but the question I have is what will likely go wrong? What is the approximate cost for the common issues in the B5 A4??? Does anyone have a modded B5 A4?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Michaeljones
I am considering buying an Audi A4 1.8T manual transmission with quattro as hobby car. I like the size and AWD. I also like the solid build quality. I am a little worried about the reliability. Realistically speaking this thing will probably have some issues for sure, but the question I have is what will likely go wrong? What is the approximate cost for the common issues in the B5 A4??? Does anyone have a modded B5 A4?
research before you buy so you know what your getting into. I started out with a 2.8 before I bought a 1.8T that fact that its turbo means a lot more that can go wrong WILL. I have learned from on the forum however, that its an interchange motor or something like that. also it seems to be the most popular engine type so I'm sure you will find lots of help on this forum for sure. I like to think of it this way... just like any car it will last or break the same. it all depends on 1. how you drive it and 2. how you maintain it. some things you gotta spend the money on and somethings you don't have too. just depends on what your trying to accomplish.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would wait and try to find a s4 just my opinion esp. if your gonna modify it. I've had mine for 8 months and I still smile ear to ear when I drive it. I say this only cuz the price diff. isn't that drastic when you compare the two plus you get more bang outa the 2.7T. I was able to find a 01 s4 listed at 7000$ but got it down to 5200$!! Minor damage and 123K on it. I changed the TB and VCG, Alt and batt. and it's like brand new!
The money I spent on it for all that tune up and tools = about 7k.

Owning an audi means spending money but as long as you do your own work you'll be straight.
Plenty of things can go wrong just like any car.... but as long as you research and learn as much as poss. you'll be on the right track.

Just my 2 pennies.... but get either one you won't be disappointed I promise.