A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I can recommend Rapid Parts in Monsey NY now

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can recommend Rapid Parts in Monsey NY now

I got my car back a couple days ago after getting a new clutch and flywheel put in. The nicest people I've ever had to deal with. The tech guy that I spoke with, Tim, was super helpful. He pulled out all my old parts to show me what was causing it to slip. The clutch had plenty of meat left on it but was covered in oil He was doing a timing belt on a car while I came to pick mine up and gave me a couple tips for when I have to do mine. Then when I got home I noticed he realigned my bumper that was the biggest PITA I've ever had, so my bumper is straight too.

I'm sure no one remembers my posts from forever ago so I'll give a little background info. I bought my car at 97k with a new clutch put in at 90k. On the receipt it said that the flywheel was resurfaced at the shop, this was a Joe Blows transmission place too. After driving the car around for a little while and starting to drive the car a little more aggressively I noticed that the clutch would slip if I shifted really quick, but never under any other circumstances. I drove the car for another 30k miles with the same thing happening, never getting any worse or better.

Finally after a 3 page receipt and a bit of money the car runs fine. Turns out that one of the seals was leaking oil onto the clutch causing it to slip. Now I have to hurry up and break the new one in for my first track day on Tuesday.

And another thing, the tech guy said that my turbo was the loudest hes ever heard before(sounds like a siren). He told me that the blade might be unbalanced and scoring the housing. I haven't had a chance to take the intake hose off yet but has this happened to anyone else?

oh oh and they had some crazy S4 there with the APR Stage3, OEM RS4 bumper and 1000 other goodies. The guy had 996 calipers up front and the front calipers of a boxster on the back along with the stock calipers for the e-brake...never seen anything like that before
Old 06-04-2005, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I can recommend Rapid Parts in Monsey NY now

When you say "the clutch is slipping" what do you mean by that? I have had problems with mine while trying to shift rapidly as well and it engages very high. I don't know what might be wrong with it.
And the dealership guys say it's ok, but then again anything wrong with the clutch would cost them money, so I can't really trust them. I can give you a link to my review on them at 1.8t.org, if you're interested.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i've never had any problems with rapid-parts. some of the parts are over priced though...

they do have some stuff cheaper then neuspeed though. i got my race springs from there.. never put them in.. still in the boxxxx keep thinking one day i'll put them in.. tried to sell them too.. eh were see.. i live 10 mins from them though so it was great.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Meaning that the engine will rev higher but the car wont go faster

Audis normally let out higher than most cars. So if you comparing it to other cars that would be normal. A good test to see if its slipping is to put the car in 5th gear doing about 30mph and floor it. If the RPMs jump and the car doesnt seem to speed up with the rate of the RPMs, its slipping. Its usually followed by the burnt clutch smell.

With my car, lets say I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 4k rpm, everything would be dandy until I let out the clutch, the RPMs would jump to like 6k and I would have to let off the gas and they would drop to 3k and then the nasty smell would follow
Old 06-04-2005, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know if I would ever buy something from a store

you can always find stuff cheaper online. But for doing work these guys are great. I'm going back next week for my wheel bearing.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default eh, I think they actually called me about parts for your car

seals on the gearbox by the throwout bearing?

I had a call from them this past week about such a part.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

well sometimes i like getting the part upfront so i can add it in either that day or weekend...
Old 06-04-2005, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yep that was me

Greenwich was the only dealer around that had it
Old 06-04-2005, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Rapid Parts have been around for ages - 'nuff said... & thanx for 11 years of Waterfest. :-)
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Meaning that the engine will rev higher but the car wont go faster

Thanks for the explanation.
Most people say, my clutch engages quite high, even the tuner guy, who installed my apr chip. I don't know the reason, but I wonder if it's adjusted to be that way.