A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I constantly hear guys with shocks/springs say they are putting coilovers in soon...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I constantly hear guys with shocks/springs say they are putting coilovers in soon...

Why fellas? Im sure coilovers are superior performance, but it seems every week i hear someone say they liked there shock/spring setup, but coilovers are coming in. The last couple guys who come to mind are Rich_W and BOOSTD.

Is this just the pursuit of perfection, or that your mod budget allows coilovers now when it didn't before? Do tell.

Cheers
Old 07-16-2001, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default argueably, everyone with coilovers HAD shocks/springs... heehee... but seriously...

I am pretty sure I am goign with koni coilovers, but I am doing so on the grounds that I am skipping the shock/spring setup and going straight to the coilovers...

(how is the miata?)
Old 07-16-2001, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hehe, I'm thinking about switching from my Sport package to Koni coilovers too...

...but I have a question...

Since I have the sport package already (about 36k on the suspension) can I just get stiffer/lower springs? Or should I wait and change everything? How long can I expect the stock sport shocks to last?

I think most people will say swap out everything but I was just curious if I could considering the tight budget.

Thanks.
-AlexD
Old 07-16-2001, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In my case the Bilstein shock and H&R sport package didnt lower enough ...
Old 07-16-2001, 10:33 AM

Default You get a superior ride, just as much performance and infinite adjustability. I think that people

ride in coilover equipped cars and realize that this was a place to spend the extra 3-400 bucks and go with the best system they can get.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Had to for my 01.5 due to front strut caps being changed....

Put in my H&R springs and wound up being higher than stock! Went with H&R coilovers the next week.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Skabaru...

Sorry ive been MIA for a bit, ive been going through some bad personal issues. The Miata is doing great, its literally a dream come true. With its current setup, its a slot car, i can't upset it no matter how hard i try

We all should get together soon, you, me, Siberian, Scott and the others.

As you can tell, i really want to tighten the Audi after having the Miata. Now i feel like my A4 wallows like a pig!

Cheers
Old 07-16-2001, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, a get together would be nice... we should plan one!

sorry to hear about your personal stuff, but I understand... glad to hear you love the miata though... I keep joking that I would love one... a couple guys in my lot have em and love em...

and I know it handles great...

on the A4, I agree... I want it buttoned down tighter... I am sure I cannot attain the levels your miata can get, but I am sure I can go tighter... I put a 19mm rear sway on, but I really need suspension to make a difference... I am thinking the koni's cause they are more affordable and I haven't heard anything bad about them... there was a group buy on that I need to check up on... through SPP... I need to see... last I heard we didn't have enough people, but I haven't heard anything lately.... you may still be able to get in... I think it was $850 shipped... not much more than a nice spring/shock setup...

I wanna ride in the maita next time we all hang out if you bring it...

I just noticed you have no suspension on the a4? go with the konis!
Old 07-16-2001, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would say do it all... heres why...

you are going to pay for the labor twice if you don't AND the minute you change your springs, your shocks' life will drop dramatically faster than stock... as the shock is not rated for that spring...

so I would say would be better off saving the money on the labor and shock life and throw on some konis!