A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I fried my JL W6 10" last night and filled the cabin with smoke!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I fried my JL W6 10" last night and filled the cabin with smoke!!!

For added low end, I usually run a JL audio W6 10 inch speaker in a bandpass box in the trunk. The Box, with one large port is powered by a Rockford Fosgate punch 500a2 amp. I bridge the amp and send all the power directly to the W6. This setup has worked out better than any other I have tested. The mighty 10" puts out more bass than a ported box with soundstream 12"s and competition kenwood DB+ bandpass box with 2 12"s. I have been complete satisfied with the speaker up until last night.

So there I am driving along listening to the Method Man album that I hadn't pulled out of my CD case in several months. I thought hey, I always kinda liked that judgement day track (#27), lets pop it in. About 5 minutes into the song (which has a **** load of hard hitting bass) my buddy cries for help from the back seat as a billowing cloud of smoke wafts through the rear deck and into the cabin. I look in my rear view to see what all the fuss is about, and I see my buddy completely engulfed in a white haze.

Quickly I pull the car over turn off the stereo, exit the car and pop the trunk. I seriously thought that my amp might be on fire. When I opened the lid I observed smoke pouring out of the port in the box. I loosened the connectors that hold the speaker wire to the box, and yanked the wire out to be sure the speaker had no more power, and waited for the smoke to clear from the trunk and cabin before driving home and disassembling the box.

When I removed the box cover I discovered the W6 was completely froze and the coil was entirely freid. ****!

I ran this setup for over a year without a single problem. I still can't believe I manged to fry this tough little speaker. I thought these things were bullet proof. I guess it just got to hot. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the song I was listening to. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, its one of few tracks that has near constant bass output. Perhaps this and the combination of 500 straight watts heated this thing beyond its limits? I'm know audio guru, and this is all I can come up with. What you guys think? Should I have been able to fry a W6? Or was the speaker defective? Did something else go wrong?

Peace
Old 12-04-2000, 10:13 AM

Does a punch 500a2put out 500 watts, if it does you were pumping 1000 into the sub when bridged!!
Old 12-04-2000, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 500 watts of RMS and a ported box= alot of excursion, and a fried voice coil...DOH! tip inside

If you want to drive a sub hard, do it in a sealed box. But 500 watts into 1 10" sub is too much...you could get by with 300 or so good quality RMS watts and have nearly the same level of volume. I am a big believer in sealed boxes for auto applications. But of course only your ear can tell you which is better. HTH
Old 12-04-2000, 10:20 AM

Default Hmmm, not sure if it was done correctly. speaker wire in +terminal of left connector on amp.....

-terminal on right.
Old 12-04-2000, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's bridged all right...1000 watts, no 10" sub can handle that, did you hear any clipping?
Old 12-04-2000, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I fried mine after 2 weeks running it at about 350RMS at 3ohms

I know have a 10W3 D4 running at 8 ohms and the amp and sub are much happier.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I fried my JL W6 10" last night and filled the cabin with smoke!!!

if you hooked the voice coils up in parallel you would have shown the amp 1.5 ohms resistance, result - instant death at load!! Very tricky speaker to set up properly, manufacturer may replace it but get professional to install next one. And turn the gain down on the amp.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:33 AM

None? Digital Designs? CV Strokers? RF Powers?
Old 12-04-2000, 11:39 AM

dual 6 ohm coils parallel=3 ohm
Old 12-04-2000, 11:51 AM

Default please don't listen to these people...

Call JL Audio they might warranty it or recone it for a small fee. Then call their techs and get the box made to JL specs. If the ported box wasn't made to JL specs that was probably your problem. W6's aren't designed for ported enclosures, but with the right box design it'll sound awesome. Don't listen to these people about the wattage, I doubt that was your problem. These speakers don't blow from power. A JL tech put 600 watts to the single 8" microsub box rated at 100 watts, these subs are built for abuse. I've had six JL 12W6 in a slot ported box with almost 3000 watts powering it and never blew one sub. Your not even putting 500 watts to one sub, it was just the wrong enclosure.

Quick Reply: I fried my JL W6 10" last night and filled the cabin with smoke!!!