A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I have to pay a $200 ADVERTISING FEE on my 2000 A4!! What the heck? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-1999, 07:22 AM
Andreas

Default I have to pay a $200 ADVERTISING FEE on my 2000 A4!! What the heck? (more)

I finally signed the papers for my 2000 A4 1.8TQMS SideGuard Xenon Santorin Blue and out of nowhere my dealer pulls out a $200 Advertising Fee. I asked him if this was a joke, he said I agreed to pay 4% over dealer invoice and this fee was part of the dealers cost. I asked him if I could see the invoice. He showed me the invoice and it said South Florida Dealer Association Advertising Fee (or something very similar). Is this a fake fee? Is this legit? I really can't believe this cr*p.

BTW: The dealer was The Collection in Coral Gables(Miami)
Old 09-03-1999, 07:43 AM
Pay And Learn

That's the hazard of not knowing what "invoice" actually is . . .
Old 09-03-1999, 07:44 AM
kcraig

Default Re: I have to pay a $200 ADVERTISING FEE on my 2000 A4!! What the heck? (more)

If the dealer is saying that this $400 advertising fee is part of the dealer invoice, then that should be added to the total invoice cost. If they do this it would cost you an additional %4.00 over what you were expecting to pay before they sprung this fee on you. If it is in reality part of the invoice you certainly should not expect to pay the entire %400.
Old 09-03-1999, 07:48 AM
kcraig

Sorry I can't read or cypher. $200 fee and additional $8
Old 09-03-1999, 08:01 AM
David Hess

Default Re: I have to pay a $200 ADVERTISING FEE on my 2000 A4!! What the heck? (more)

I think you should not be responsible for paying for the dealer advertising. They will advertise a lot and be glad to pay for it if they want to be successful. I believe this fee is like ADP fee, Additional Dealer Profit fee, market adjustment fee, or even the $1000 fee some dealers try to charge for rustproofing. Generally, they all put a lot of money into the dealer's pocket and you get nothing or next to nothing for it.
Dave Hess
98.5 2.8 QSTip
Old 09-03-1999, 08:14 AM
Chris

Alot of delears are doing this now...I think it is to make up for us knowing the invoice!
Old 09-03-1999, 08:26 AM
Andreas

Re: I know I shouldn't pay the fee but I'm getting good deal(4.4%) The wait would be too long for me
Old 09-03-1999, 12:12 PM
RPF

Default Consumers Reports take on this

I paid the $ for a Consumers Reports pricing guide on the A4 and they listed it as a legitimate (but "negotiable") dealer cost. I think I've heard of other makes that have this charge, sort of like the shipping charge.
Old 09-03-1999, 01:34 PM
DougR

Default I agree it stinks to have to pay for advertising for a car you would buy anyway, but...

I think it's a legitimate cost to the dealership. My understanding (which could be completely off-base so please correct me if I'm wrong!) is that it is a regional thing and the dealer has next to no say about it. AoA advertises regionally and charges them this fee per car to cover it. So, I wouldn't put it in the same category as ADM - more like the destination charge, except that it varies widely by region or maybe even between dealers(?)...

DougR
'00 1.8TQMS (someday)
Old 09-03-1999, 05:11 PM
MitchC

Default Happens All The Time..next time negotiate the "Out The Door" Price..

Here in the Northeast Dealers are big on charging Dealer Conveyance fees. I was quoted different amounts by every dealership I went to - anywhere from $145 to $250.

You have to be clear when you negotiate that you are discussing the out the door price including ALL costs...period.

So...pay it and forget it. Enjoy the car. Next time you will know to negotiate it into the out the door cost.

MitchC 99.5 1.8tqms

Quick Reply: I have to pay a $200 ADVERTISING FEE on my 2000 A4!! What the heck? (more)