A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I have a theory as to why a drop-in panel filter seems to do nothing......

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 08:19 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a theory as to why a drop-in panel filter seems to do nothing......

even though K&N has proven that the filter itself flows more air than a paper filter.

Perhaps the relevant point of restriction is not at the filter itself, but at the intake funnel.

The cross sectional area of the intake funnel is tiny compared to the size of the filter, so perhaps a better flowing filter doesn't matter.

It's like putting a 4" diameter pipe on the end of your garden hose to get water to come out quicker.

Hmmm....Maybe I'm full of it. Somebody smack my "went-to-art-school-not-engineering-school" *** around.
Old 07-10-2001, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*SMACK* (Actually, I agree with you.)
Old 07-10-2001, 08:37 PM
Elder Member

C'mon, Mark Bradford. You gonna let me get away with this? Where's your flamethrower, punk? :P
Old 07-10-2001, 08:50 PM
Rest In Peace

Hehe - or it's like buying a Borla exhaust with a 2.25" downpipe. :-)
Old 07-10-2001, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nothing to do with the housing...

The computer compenstates for the additional air. The computer is set to regulate air intake at a predetermined level. This is why when you use a chip you see improvements, it changes the values.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:31 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I think you're missing the point. If the snorkel is a restriction, and there is insufficient.......

airflow, then the engine won't be able to make as much power as it would with sufficient airflow.

More air = more gas = more boom = more go.

Therefore it has everything to do with the housing, snorkel, filter, or anything else that could be a restriction.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:49 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I think the main reason why the drop in filter does little on an Audi is because..

the intake is not really all that bad. So what if K&N claims that it's filter flows x% more than paper filter. What is that relative to? The difference may really be very little.

I put a K&N panel filter in my airbox, and to be honest, it does seem to pull harder at higher rpms. I can hear the intake maniifold doing it's intake runner length thingy, and it does sound a little throatier.

Oh, and I got a cool sticker on my airbox trim cover too :-D
Old 07-11-2001, 04:52 AM

Default I think K&N makes claims about flowing X% more air based on maximum air flow capability, not air

flow in general. That is to say, with different air pressures facing each filter, which flows more. If I remember correctly, the K&N flows about the same as a paper filter at all incoming air pressures except those that are extremely high and not seen in the real world. Think of a chart of air flowing through a filter in CFM on the y-axis and airpressure on the x-axis. Overlaying the graphs of K&N and paper they are nearly identical at all points except very high pressures where the K&N flows X% more air. Of course, this means nothing for daily driving because you don't see such high pressures at the intake. So, the K&N does not provide a constant shift upwards of flow in CFM at all points. This is actually very common in fluid dynamics, there is almost never a straight shift of flow characteristics when comparing 2 systems.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:06 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Right, like in the store display for example...There is no way en engine would draw as much air as

the vacuum cleaner like thing they use. Even my G-60 supercharger on the Corrado does not draw in that much. At 20PSI output, it is drawing in what, -5 to -10 psi? If that? A naturally aspirated engine is going to draw in much less than that.
Old 07-11-2001, 06:17 AM
Rest In Peace

They don't use a vacuum cleaner thingy - it's a teeny little box with a small fan.

Quick Reply: I have a theory as to why a drop-in panel filter seems to do nothing......