A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I know this is practically a dead issue here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I know this is practically a dead issue here...

But I've been looking at different vendors for a 30V chip. I see TAP has one and claims +18HP and +18lbs Torque. Sounds kinda high. Reading their FAQ on the 30V, it say you can gain approximately 30HP from Chip, Air Box, and Exhuast. Does this sound right? Anyone have the TAP installed on their 30V?

If all they say is true, I would think that 30HP would definetly make a difference on the 30V.

Mike D.
99.5 2.8QMS
Old 05-01-2001, 11:54 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAP = CRAP.

I'd love to see them get 30HP from a chip, airbox, and exhaust.

First - a chip on a 2.8 does next to mothing. Car and Driver did a test on NA engines with chips and said they were BS.

Second - an exhaust on a NA car is a bigger tradeoff than on a blown car - you lose backpressure, and thus torque, and you don't have as much to gain either.

I'm guessing that all those mods MIGHT make ten ponies, if that.
Old 05-01-2001, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would skip the chip completely, and just do exhaust and airbox...

I had a chip (TAP) in my Coupe Quattro (2.3 20v NA) and it gave me absolutely NO hp gains. You just can't expect to get any real gains with a chip on NA engines. Go for exhaust, maybe a cone filter, and some nice rims.
Old 05-01-2001, 11:58 AM

owww.... havent read such painful comments for a long time ...
Old 05-01-2001, 12:01 PM
Rest In Peace

Sorry, but they've got a disproportionately high number of unsatisfied customers.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:09 PM

tap sucks!
Old 05-01-2001, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not exactly! Unless you have some hard facts, do not call somebodys product CRAP!!!

I am not sure how well you know TAPs products to claim that they are crap, but from personal experience, I've had no problem with them what so ever. If that was just a figure of speech or an attempt at a "funny" rime then I would sugest you would not do it because some people may be interested in buying their stuff and you may turn them away for no apparent reason. I have an intake that they make for 12Valve and it is one of the best things that 12Valve owners can do to thier cars. So if you bought something from them that did not live up to its expectaions, please share, I think we would be more then happy to hear about it.

As with regards to your claim that exhausts and chips do nothing to NA engines, I'd check your facts. I do not care what C&D tested and what their results where, chips do work for quite a few NA vechicles and they can add as much 10-20hp. I know for a fact that chips work because I've driven cars before and after the upgrade and timed them with a Gtech to see as much as .5 second improvement in times. As with regards to backpressure, yes it is required for the engine to function properly. Completely removing the exaust will probably result in loss of performance. Performance exausts, however, do not completely remove backpressure, they are better tuned for that specific application to reduce backpressure while still providing enough of it for the engine to function properly.

As for the claimed gains, they are usualy on the high side, but unless someone can do some dyno runs to show the result, there is nothing for us to talk about, other then pure guessing. I would guess that if done properly exhaust/intake/chip could give about 20-25hp, but like I said, it is just a guess. In reallity it could be 10hp or 30hp.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:35 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default they were also on the scene WAY before others were ( I was very satisfied)

they stumbled and fell before others even tried
Old 05-01-2001, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice rims are good for at least what??? 50 bhp??
Old 05-01-2001, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default You want facts?

Check the S-cars list. EVERYONE on that list will markbradford.

Quick Reply: I know this is practically a dead issue here...