A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I MUST MAKE A DECISION WITHIN THREE HOURS - PLEASE HELP!!! A/D/S OR QUART ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-1999, 12:12 PM
markbradford

Default I MUST MAKE A DECISION WITHIN THREE HOURS - PLEASE HELP!!! A/D/S OR QUART ?!?!

Those of you who know me on this board know I never yell or double post, but I need help real quickly. I'm buying speakers for the front doors today and I need to know whether a set of 5 1/4" A/D/S speakers with a mounting depth of 2 5/8" will fit? I prefer them A LOT over the Quarts, but if I'm unable to mount them I'll have to go with the Quarts. Can I use the Quart adapter to fit the A/D/S speakers?

I don't want to buy the wrong ones because I'm going home to my car 1500 miles away with the. (PITA to return and get new ones)

Anybody with experience with ADS?

Thank a mil,
Mark
Old 09-02-1999, 12:53 PM
Goku

Default I have 5.25 ADS speakers....

And while they fit rather tight...they do fit. I used MBQuart adapters. I don't remember what model number they are but they sell for $700 retail.
Old 09-02-1999, 01:04 PM
GaryJ

Default Surprised you didn't this in the archives (link to all your answers inside)

Sounds kind of like a little more work than a simple drop-in, but not too bad. I also prefer the a/d/s hugely over the MB's.<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/bbs/archive/9808x2/messages/381.shtml">a/d/s install</a></li></ul>
Old 09-02-1999, 01:20 PM
markbradford

Every time I tried to search A/D/S, it gave me an error message - something to do with the slash??
Old 09-02-1999, 01:37 PM
hans

Default Re: I MUST MAKE A DECISION WITHIN THREE HOURS - PLEASE HELP!!! A/D/S OR QUART ?!?!

i've had both. i much prefer the ads. do yourself a favor and spend the extra $. for me, the sound of the quarts just cannot compare.
Old 09-02-1999, 02:01 PM
GaryJ

That's right. I remember now you can't do that. Are you going for the a/d/s speaks?
Old 09-02-1999, 02:52 PM
markbradford

Yup, I'll grin and bear the nasty install. You'll probably get some e mail amid my frustrations.
Old 09-02-1999, 02:54 PM
markbradford

whoops, I thought it was you who did it. I guess Jim Meyer'll get 'em. ;-)
Old 09-02-1999, 04:47 PM
Jim Meyer

Default Good luck with the install!

I wouldn't want to have to go through it again. :-) As my post in the archives explains, it can be done, but it's not easy. At least my long-winded post may actually help someone!

Jim Meyer
'98.5 2.8QMS
Old 09-02-1999, 05:01 PM
GaryJ

Good luck. Please post your experiences. I'd like to hear how it turns out

Quick Reply: I MUST MAKE A DECISION WITHIN THREE HOURS - PLEASE HELP!!! A/D/S OR QUART ?!?!