A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I need advice on long-term reliability effects of chipping your car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2001, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts. Probably useless but hey you asked.

The engine in question is used in a modified form in the TT that makes 225hp. The engine can take more power. There is the question of the warranty? Man that is a whole other ball of wax. My plan is to (prepare the engine first) I want to upgrade the exhaust, the bypass valve, and maybe the intercooler before adding either a chip or a different turbo. I am not in a hurry and the car drives fine for now. The car has plenty of everyday power.

It does not even seem like you really want the chip? If you are worried about it then don't do it.

back to work
Old 02-22-2001, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still comes down to your tolerance for risk.

If you can tolerate only "zero" risk, don't chip. Personally I was in a similar situation: I intend to keep my car for many years, and if there's one thing I hate it's having to pay for repairs. So I have a pretty low tolerance for risk.

The collective experience of everyone here shows that chipping is not completely without risk, but that the vast majority of people who've chipped have thousands...and many of them tens of thousands...of problem-free chipped miles (and that number is growing every day). Stories about chip-related problems are exceedingly rare. And you <i>know</i> that if there were such problems, you'd see them here first. I took a year after I got my car to read this forum regularly and educate myself. I decided that even my own low risk tolerance was satisfied. But let's be honest, there is risk. Sh*t happens. And a chip <i>is</i> going to affect overall engine life, although nobody knows by how much (if, as early returns show, a chip has no material impact on longevity in the first 100K miles, it's a total nonissue for me and maybe for you too). So I see very low risk indeed, especially for someone with your driving style/habits. If you can't accept <i>any</i> risk, however, don't chip.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:01 AM

Default In your situation I also wouldn't do it...

It doesn't sound like you think the car is underpowered for your needs. Will something fail before 65k miles because of chipping?... no one can say for sure, but the chances of something failing do go up.

The other data point I would consider is that when Audi went to the 225 HP TT 1.8T engine, there were published reports that internal engine components were strengthened.

Only you can decide what's comfortable for you.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

whats the point of living without risks =)
Old 02-22-2001, 11:15 AM

Default Very good point.....

YOU CAN DOOO IIITTT
Old 02-22-2001, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't chip now. You don't need the worry. And anticipation isn't all bad.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires and brake pads wear out faster
Old 02-22-2001, 11:44 AM

Default I have 20k trouble free miles. But in your shoes, I'd get a spare ecu

that way if there is ever trouble, you can swap ecus and if there is ever a warranty issue, go to the dealer and they will cover it and they will never know you were chipped. Keep saving.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

and fuel seems to be leaking XP
Old 02-22-2001, 12:40 PM

Default Thanks for the responses everyone.... (m)

Thanks for the good advice everyone. At this time I think I'm going to have to wait anyway as my new 17inch wheels arrived today. After I have those installed, and the money I used to help my friend, I'm going to be short anyway.

I'll wait a few months and watch my pennies and then probably go ahead with chipping. During that time I'm going to observe my speed use and see if I get into a situation where I say "dang I wish I had more power right now!" If that comes up on a regular basis I'll chip before any more modifications.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and knowledge and I feel better about the ability of my car to handle the chip now that I understand more about what it does! I am again glad this forum exists and that there are such great people here willing to share advice and opinions.

Matt

Quick Reply: I need advice on long-term reliability effects of chipping your car