A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I need help diagnosing my headlight problem. I've narrowed it to car-side. Where do I go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help diagnosing my headlight problem. I've narrowed it to car-side. Where do I go from here?

Xenon ecodes, philips ballasts, 5k d2s bulbs. Non-xenon from the factory.

I went several years with this setup and it worked perfectly.

The problems started when my passenger side headlight would fail to turn on when you intiailly hit the switch. You could see the bulb trying to kick on (it would flicker for a second) but you had to flip the switch once or twice to get the bulb to turn on permanently. This would happen nearly every time. The driver side worked perfectly.

Then, one day, the driver side headlight stopped working all together. No intial flick like the passenger side, just out cold. Now, the passenger side works perfectly every time (talk about agrivating). The city light, brights, and turn signals work on both sides.

I changed the bulb and ballasts from side to side. Both bulbs and ballasts are functional. I checked my wiring inside the ecode and resoldered everything. This didnt change anything! (At this point, I was getting very pissed). I put a halogen bulb in, nothing.

Where should I go from here? What are the symptoms of a failing switch?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 4 rings has the same problem
Old 07-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Joey T

Default Check the FAQ. I did a write up on the switch.

I cannot recall if it could possibly go bad on one side only, but I would suggest pulling it to check.

Easy job.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Joey T

Default Like I said, I am not sure. If I had power to only one side I would start at the switch.

It is easy enough to trace the wires from there.

BTW, did you test for power at the plug? How about ground?
Old 07-23-2005, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had same issues , with some different characteristics...

1st, this is on our 00 A4 30v , factory equiped with Xenons. We 1st noticed the problem when making a hard right turn(turn signal on), the passenger light would go out . You could get it to go back on if you turned the lights off, then on. I replaced the turn signal assembly which fixed the problem for about 8 months.
The problem then returned, but this time the light would go out all by itself on the passenger side. Replaced the ballast , and this fixed it for awhile(about 4 months). We now coming up to todays date. It has happened , on and off again but since we have just recently moved I could not do any more diagnostics through the wiring harness but that is where the issue is on our car. I getting a code of "low voltage on term 30". Its the wiring harness for the passengerside headlight.
My guess, is that if your having "both" go out , then its a problem up by the switch or worse , the circut board. Your not the only one with this issue. I can tell you , the turn signal switches made by Valeo are absolute trash.