A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I put Kicker Subwoofer with jl audio amp but......(please help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I put Kicker Subwoofer with jl audio amp but......(please help)

in my opinion, the bass is really great now, but I still don't like the sound that is produced by the stock speaker...(Especially when I listened to rock music).
Now the questions, (My headunit is still Audi Symphony non bose):
1. my amp is JL Audio 300/4 , I do this because I know I will change the speakers in the future. And now, I've got all 4 channels go into the subs. If I change the two front speakers,and I amplified them also, do you think the amp will strong enough to power those two front speakers and the sub?
2. As you guys all know, audi has four front speakers, which one should I replace for a big improvement, the top one, or the one in the bottom?
3. What do you guys suggest for the front speakers? (My budget around $300-$400, and I really like rock music)

Thanks for your help guys, I know I really stupid in audio think
Old 04-02-2002, 03:10 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Answers....

I'm not surprised that your system sounds odd. I really don't like the sound of a sub added to a stock system. Totally unbalanced.

Why do you have all the channels bridged to the sub? total overkill. Makes your amp work really hard too.

The amp will easily power two speakers and the sub. I have a single 5-channel amp powering 4 speakers and a sub, sounds amazing.

Replacing the fronts is much more of a priority than the rears. I'd get two 5.25" MB Quart component speakers for the fronts. They'll make a world of difference.

Hope this helps. =)
Old 04-02-2002, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I put Kicker Subwoofer with jl audio amp but......(please help)

Buy a set of Polk component speakers for the front doors. They include the lower woofer and the upper tweeter. The amp you have should be fine to power the front components and the subs. If you want more power later just add another amp to power the subs seperately.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:22 PM

Default Use 2 channels to power some front comps. (MB, Focal etc) and 2 to the sub.

I'm not sure if you could bridge the spare 2 channels to the sub? i'm sure you can as most 4-channel amp are quite flexible like that. Shouldn't have any issues on underpowering. I guess you can use the headunit power for the rears.

As mentioned you can add another mono or 2-channel bridged amp later for the sub and use the 4-channel for the 4 speakers.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:25 PM

Default wow, you guys are really helpfull, Thank you... I think I have to throw money again :(

Thank you alllll, You guys are right, stock speakers with nice subwoofer is ugly as hell
Old 04-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Elder Member

Default well, at least your on your way to a nice system....although the approach is a bit backwards......

IMO, stereo systems should be upgraded in this order (if not all at once)....

1. Speakers

2. Amp(s)

3. Sub
Old 04-02-2002, 04:22 PM

Default IMO, some factors to consider before choosing any speakers are what you expect from them.

Focal was mentioned, which are really great speakers, however, if you want to keep the stock radio, it might not be worth it in spending all that money for a set of FocalsCtry to stay away from their entry level stuff, you can get something better for the same price). Your radio will be the limiting factor here for the sound quality you will achieve. Personally I am not a fan of MB Quart, but it probably would be a better choice.
I suggest you go listen to some of them...also you might take a look at the infinity kappa's.
Good luck.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Well, some of you gave me suggestion to go with MbQuarts for the fronts, but I don't know which.....

Is MBQuart DSD 213 should be enough, or I have to go with MBQuart PSC 213 ? What do you guys think ?
The price different is huge enough though.

I am still planning to keep my stock headunit. It will be powered by JL Audio 300/4 amp

Thank you once again guys
Old 04-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Elder Member

Default I'm assuming you got a high-to-low level signal converter?.......

that's the only way to properly run an amp off of the stock head unit. They cost about $60-$100.

If you're running the amp off of speaker leads, you're not making good use of the amp. It'll sound like *** compared to using a signal converter or an aftermarket head unit.

Maybe you don't notice it sounding bad yet, since you're only running the sub off of the amp....but I guarantee it won't sound too good when you hook up speakers to it.