A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I really hate this whole chipping decision..I am between the apr and the giac..PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hate this whole chipping decision..I am between the apr and the giac..PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Old 01-10-2001, 07:03 AM
Elder Member

Default Same dilemna here...

I've heard only good things about APR, but I know the folks at AWE personally and know that I can't go wrong with a g-chip.

..still havn't made up my mind

Liam
1.8T in Montreal. It's green.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:06 AM

Default could you enlighten us as to why, mark?

some elaboration might help.

thanks!
Old 01-10-2001, 07:07 AM
CP

Free upgrades and impeccable customer service w/ APR.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:08 AM

Default If you . . .

plan to keep your car for a while. Then there is no question that the boys on Opelika Road have your best interests in mind. Their R&D, innovation, and specialization is way beyond the others. Reduce your stress and give APR a call. You won't regret it.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chipping paralysis.....

I have gone through the paralysis of deciding who to go with before, and basically, get a chip and stop worrying about it! Stick with the guys who have been around a while like Neuspeed, MTM, APR and such. I have heard good things about GIAC, but didn't like the idea of a guy who is a chip maker as a part time operation while he attends medical school....but I still hear good things about him, so you will be fine with him.

Neuspeed has been making chips for VWs for over 20 years, MTM is THE tuner in Europe and is starting to get established here through retailers (some MTM retailers better than others), and APR has been around for 2-3 years and has a lot of fans.

Here's another point....if and when you have problems or concerns about your chip, do you want to be able to talk to the chip maker directly (APR & Neuspeed), or a retailer who will have to call the chip maker and get back to you (MTM).

I have an APR chip in my '00 A4, and have had an APR and a Neuspeed chip in my last A4. Both chips worked great. I am probably going to put a Neuspeed chip in my wife's A4 since I don't think I can afford a second APR chip right now.

Just chip according to who you like, what you can afford, and enjoy!
Old 01-10-2001, 07:13 AM

Default Anyone in north jersey have either of these chips and want to give me a ride so i can expirence the

difference they make....
Old 01-10-2001, 07:16 AM

thanks for the input....i live an hour from pes so i will most likely get the giac
Old 01-10-2001, 07:17 AM
Elder Member

Is the neuspeed chip cheaper than APR's?
Old 01-10-2001, 07:22 AM

Default I'm between APR and MTM/Hoppen at this point...

... that is, if I could EVER get someone at MTM or Hoppen to tell me about their 2001 1.8t offerings.

I've heard decent things about APR and the EMCS features are a nice idea. But I'm also a bit put off by the cult following they seem to have developed here. Regardless of how good they may be, when people start chanting "go apr, go apr, go apr" with a glazed-over look in their eyes and drool running down a corner of their mouth, you have to wonder how valuable that advice really is.
It's become more a popularity contest than anything, and since APR participates on this forum, they were bound to win, all else being equal.

I hope it doesn't seem that I'm anti-APR. Quite the contrary, I'm probably going APR soon because:

- I've gotten a good feeling from talking with
them;
- I like the EMCS idea and the ability to clear
fault codes;
- Their upgrade policy;
- The only other tuner that I'm considering,
MTM/Hoppen, doesn't seem to take the internet
seriously and can't seem to give me current
info.

To APR's disadvantage is the fact that they don't
send out an ECU and have you return yours in
exchange. Other chippers will have you running
with the only downtime being the time it takes to swap ECUs.

My 3c.

-dan

Quick Reply: I really hate this whole chipping decision..I am between the apr and the giac..PLEASE HELP ME!!!!