A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I used to think my A4 was flawless... please help with this very annoying problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I used to think my A4 was flawless... please help with this very annoying problem

I think it's a general concensus that the worst automotive problem to have are the ones that involve annoying vibrations. We all KNOW the service people will either just say they didn't hear it or say it's "within spec" Well my A4 is buzzing like a damn bee everytime the needle hits 5K RPM. I've tried it while accelerating AND while sitting in nuetral. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side vent but could be the anything on this side of the car.

I kid you not it's so annoying I'm already considering ditching the car if the service guys refuse to fix it. I KNOW the A4$ is not supposed to make this sound since this is my second one in two years. I never noticed it before as the car was in the break-in period so I just recently began flogging the go-fast pedal.

The vibration only last a second or two but I HATE it my car is a 2001 1.8TQSM f that helps

TIA for ANY help or advice you can offer
Old 03-30-2001, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a heat shield to me.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my car is at the dealer for service right now...

I'm praying they fix at least a couple of the annoying rattles I've mentioned. I feel your pain.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:31 AM

Default MORE bad news... Just called the dealership and got some pretty lousy service

I was treated like gold when I bought the car and the service manager (usually a nice guy) was very short and seemed pissed. Like how dare I complain that the car I spent 45K Cdn. on is vibrating so bad it's making my teeth hurt.

Anyone wanna buy an A4?
Old 03-30-2001, 10:40 AM
JR

Default This could be the problem...(long)

I have a '00 A4 QMS. During its break-in period I noticed a "rattle, buzz" sound coming into the car at high rpms. It was more noticeable when shifting. Audi had no idea what it was. Therefore, they thought it could be the "syncros" in the gearing. They replaced my transmission and they sound was still there.

While the car was in the shop, an older model, '98 A4 1.8T was in the shop for other reasons. The service manager test drove the older car and noticed the exact sound in that car, but it was even louder.

Answer: the sound is most likely (99.9%) coming from the transmission "shifting rods". The A4 has two rods connecting the stick to the transmission. The noise/vibration is resonating from whithin the engine/tranny, going up the rods, and into the car.

The dealership put "sound-deadening foam" in my shifter casing to help deaden the sound. It helps, but the noise is still there.

Now, after 29K miles, I barely hear it. Also, once it was determined that it was okay (meaning, nothing is getting harmed), I felt a lot better about it.

If this isn't the sound you're talking about, thanks for reading, and good luck with your issue.

JR
'00 1.8T QMS APR
Old 03-30-2001, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same thing w/ the BMW, the power steering bracket was lose and the resonance buzzed thru-out.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:50 AM

Default The only thing I don't get is why it's ONLY @ 5,000 RPM?

It stops once I move past 5K PM... very strange indeed. Where are all the 1.8T masters when I need them.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:54 AM

Which dealership is this?
Old 03-30-2001, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Please ask your dealer if they got any of the rattles fixed...

I am dying from rattles....
Old 03-30-2001, 11:01 AM
ajp
AudiWorld Senior Member

If they can't reproduce it demand that a tech rides along with you-I had to do this for my rattles

Quick Reply: I used to think my A4 was flawless... please help with this very annoying problem