A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

An idea for the V1 radar detector and A4 installation... Has anyone done this? Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-1999, 08:24 AM
Jager McConnell

Default An idea for the V1 radar detector and A4 installation... Has anyone done this? Can it be done?

I'm thinking about installing the V1 radar detector and was taking a look at the FAQ and all
of the pictures and the accessories and came up with an idea that I'm hoping someone else
has done.
I was thinking about mounting the actual radar detector behind the rear view mirror then having
a cable run all the way around the car down, down under the driver foot well, and having it end at the ash tray. now i don't smoke so that's just a waste of space right now (already have a coin holder). I'd like to install the remote console (<a href="http://www.valentine1.com/order/concealclose.html"> click here to see </a>) *inside* the place for the ashtray so i can just pop it out and have it visible. If i'd like to hide it, away it goes!

I think the wiring might be a bit tricky depending on the wires they supply (wish it was wireless).
Any people try this? Explore this idea? Forsee some problems?

Thanks
-Jager McConnell
Ithaca, NY A 4 99.4 2.8l QMS
Old 11-11-1999, 08:39 AM
pdw

If you mount it behind the rear view mirror you may block the rear antenna and laser sensor.
Old 11-11-1999, 08:50 AM
EP

Default what I'd like to see is a kit to mount one part behind the grill...

the other under the rear bumper, and the display in the car. This way, there's no issue with tinting, something stuck on the windshield, no visible object for law enforcement, and nice integration of the display.
Old 11-11-1999, 09:00 AM
Radar O'Reilly

Default I've had an idea about the V1

If Valentine could make the two sets of antennae (front/rear) into two separate units, the front being placed behind the rearview mirror (or, in the grill?), the back unit being placed in the rear window. The display could be placed wherever you want and the wiring shouldn't be that complicated. This would be a much more stylish set up and less intrusive. Anyone want to suggest this to Mike Valentine?
Old 11-11-1999, 11:34 AM
James

Default Bel has something close. . .

Hey Edward,

Bel Electronics has something close to what you're after. No rear though. and laser still mounted on windshield.

<a href="http://www.radar-guys.com/bel615.htm" target="_top">Bel 815STiR</a>

James Wu
<a href="http://vancouver.a4.org" target="_top">Vancouver A4 Club</a>
1998 Black 1.8tqa

<a href="http://home.mdi.ca/james561" target="_top">James' Audi A4 Page</a>
Old 11-11-1999, 03:16 PM
Mark Collett

Default I asked them about this a few years ago...

...and they said the cost would be prohibitive. I don't know why, I think I may have seen other detectors that function with front and rear antennae. However thosemay just have been front and rear laser. I would gladly pay an extra $200 to have the separate modules for true stealth operation...

Mark Collett
Old 11-11-1999, 03:16 PM
Eric L (in MD)

Default V-1 remote display in the ashtray and related headaches....

Jager,

I am currently in the middle of doing this installation in my 99 2.8 QMS as I wanted the remote to be completely invisible when I park (sometimes in Baltimore or DC and no need to attract unwanted attention). I have been working with Tom, who is based in the Quad Cities, who has completed this install (Thanks, Bud). It seems to be a straight forward installation (the remote fits very nicely inside hte ashtray) until you try to run the wires from the remote connection (placed next the fuzes) to the ashtray. Tom removed the panel under the dash and then fished the wire into the slot that guides the ashtray as it rotates out. You need to remove the ashtray assembly to see this slot (the assembly is kept in place by 2 spring clips that you access by pulling out the removable part of the ashtray). This opening is less than an inch square. In addition, there is a lot of plastic housing, metal and wires behind it, so its really a pain to get the wire there (the goal is not to remove the center console). I'm going to try again this weekend to get the wire where I want it. If you are interested, send me an e-mail and I'll forward any tips that I learn. The remainder of the installation of the V-1 is really easy if you follow the FAQ posted on how to do this. Its only the wiring of the remote that is real headache.

E-mail me if you want more info.

Eric
Old 11-11-1999, 04:49 PM
JSC

Default Any placement that takes your eyes far away from the road is a bad idea IMO...

The idea is to keep your eyes on the road, and the farther away you have to look (e.g., to your ashtray) to see the remote, the more distracting and dangerous it is, particularly at speed.

Any of these installations that result in the remote going far away from the windshield or instruments is ill advised IMHO.

I put my remote on top of the steering column top trim piece; it sits in front of and just below the instr. cluster, in my peripheral line of sight. THe wire is visible but the remote itself is disconnected when I park, or can be covered easily. Much safer...
Old 11-11-1999, 06:13 PM
sc

Default Any electrical engineers in the house?

Maybe it's possible for some technically inclined A4er to come up with some kind of solution? Perhaps if a bunch of us were interested, it could happen. Am I crazy or just too interested in the idea?
Old 11-12-1999, 08:09 AM
bebl

Default I have mounted the remote right above the temp/gas gauges

in the dash and it is very convenient, although it covers the upper portions of both gauges. The detector itself is mounted to the passenger visor and is almost not noticeable.

Quick Reply: An idea for the V1 radar detector and A4 installation... Has anyone done this? Can it be done?