A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Idle conversation...RADAR detectors Vs. open eyes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-1999, 10:35 AM
ChrisW

Default Hey pdw, come take a look at my books....

I do not solely write for speeding. I'm permanently assigned a section of highway along with the frontage roads and enforce ALL the traffic laws. The majority of my tix are for other violations other than speeding. In no particular order: fail to signal lane change, following too close, unsafe lane change, littering (i've actually written 2 people for throwing out their cig.butts as I walk up to their car..duh), yield signs (a peave,sp.?), babies not in child seats (a big peave), no insurance (3rd peave), expired reg/insp, red lights, no brake lights, etc...yadda yadda
Old 04-20-1999, 10:50 AM
ChrisW

Default You're correct, but...

the officer may be set up in a position where he is running radar as you pass him. Depending on the officer's positioning will determine whether or not the e-brake 'could' help you or not. The e-brake technique is just a small factor of many that can determine whether or not you'll get stopped. There's a particular downsloping curve I sometimes work. I can hit oncoming cars with radar, but only approx 50-80 ft behind me. With that short amount of time, I can see where sometimes it might benefit a knowledgeable driver. (see prev. post)<br>
Old 04-20-1999, 11:06 AM
brake

Default Doesn't that put a lot of wear on the e-brake if you do that? How much can a e-brake potentially take?

x
Old 04-20-1999, 11:28 AM
DC

Default But if you have RD and get a ticket, the RD was a total waste of moola

especially when the ticket is over 90 bucks
Old 04-20-1999, 12:23 PM
T-MaN

Default Yeah, but...(more)

I'm as guilty as the rest...... I do speed. So I ain't no sanctimoneous shyt as you read below!!<p>BUT, don't you think that support of the radar detector is like openly supporting breaking of the law?? If you want to honk on bo-bo, go to a track. Sure, this may sound a bit harsh but my concern is mainly because of those "other" drivers who can't drive worth a crap. Throwing speeding into the fray as an accepted form of behavior via a radar detector worries me.<p>The number of crappy drivers out there increases exponentially on a daily basis it seems. Something is incredibly wrong with the way we license people to drive. So many people have no common sense about driving, zero road edicate and that's not even counting for them having a clue about the Highway Traffic Act. It's no wonder there's road rage. The sadest part about the whole mess is that there seems to be no end in sight, no realistic way to solve this problem that anyone will agree upon.<p>So many times I've had the urge to get out of my car and put the boot to someone's head to wake them up to the realities of driving, and I'm generally a calm person !!!<p>Tom<br>Transportation and Municipal Engineer at large....<p><br>
Old 04-20-1999, 01:50 PM
Kohno

Default You think you have it bad? Try driving in Utah where DMV tests are open book and the drivers are the worst in the nation!

-<br>