A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

If key is off the ignition, do the doors automatically lock after a few seconds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If key is off the ignition, do the doors automatically lock after a few seconds?

I don't remember how it is before I had the remote recoded last year for window/moonroof and auto lock > 15mph. But I have read here that it should automatically lock the doors if your key is not on the ignition. Well, mine doesn't do it, and a 2000 2.8 loaner I got did. I was putting in gas and bham, all doors were lock while I was putting in gas. Even the pin that locks the fuel door was extended. Did re-coding the remote remove this (as was told to kennyc by the dealer)? Not sure if pinch protection is there anymore either.
Old 02-14-2001, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default No...check the TECH section, but it should...

The only time the car locks or unlocks "on it's own" is if you press the unlock button and don't physically open a door. The system will think it was an accident and re lock the doors.

Other ways of locking/unlocking:
If you have it programmed...when you get to 10-15 mph, the doors will lock. And, when you *remove* the key from the ignition, the doors will unlock.

Along with this....the doors that unlock when you remove the key are only the ones that you unlocked manually the last time. This assumes you have the 2-stage unlocking programmed (push once to unlock driver's door, twice for all). So, if you get to your car, unlock once to just unlock drivers door, get in, drive off (door locks at 15mph. Stop, remove key, then *only* the driver's door unlocks, since that's all you unlocked when you got in the car. If you had passengers, you would've unlock all doors and thuse when you stop all will unlock.

finally, the lock at 15mph only occurs the *1st* time you pass 15mph after starting the car. If you stop, leave engine going, get out, get back in, go again, it will not relock at 15. Also, if you do that and then manually lock the doors, they *may* (I forgot) not unlock when you stop and remove the key.

And the gas lock is mostly in synch with the driver's door. The exception is if you use the inside handle to unlock the drivers door, then the gas tank does not unlock.

Whew! got all that?
Old 02-14-2001, 07:17 AM
A10
AudiWorld Member

Default and more ...

Mark P is right about "interrupting" the 10MPH program. If you touch the manual lock/unlock button on the door while the engine is running, regardless locking or unlocking it. The door will NOT auto unlock after you remove the key.

However, see if you can follow this, we all know the first part, make the car auto lock by going over 10 MPH, then stop and remove the key so the doors auto unlock. Here is where it gets funny, open then close the driver's door ONLY ONCE, usually if we get off the car we close the door TWICE, so make sure you close it only ONCE. Now restart the car the doors should auto lock right when the engine starts. If you close the driver's door twice the program gets reset and you have to go over 10MPH to trigger it again.

I found out about this when one night I didn't shut the door tight and the next morning the door locks right when I start the engine.

At least that's how it is on my 2001.5
Old 02-14-2001, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

very interesting! Gotta try that tonight
Old 02-14-2001, 07:39 AM

Default Mark P... thanks. I am aware of the other locking scenario you describe. The one that caught me off

guard was the doors (fuel door) automatically locked while I was putting in gas. Like I said, I have read about it, but haven't seen it working on my car. But now, I know how to try it. If I get you right, the only time time it'll lock on its own is the following.

Only driver. No passenger. Drivers goes into car, drive around, doors automatically lock (>10mph). Driver stops at gas station. Remove key from ignition. Driver door unlocks only (per remote coding). Driver gets out of the car AND closes the door. Driver then hits unlock maybe twice (?) to get all doors to unlock along with the trunk,fuel door,hood. Driver puts in gas and car locks itself.

Is that right Mark P? My car did not lock before because I usually press the unlock button on the door, get out and close the door. But yesterday while I was refueling the loaner, I got out and couldn't open the fuel door. I hit unlock a couple of times.
Old 02-14-2001, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you hit the unlock on the remote and do not open the door it will lock again. That is default.

Just never thought it would do that if one of the doors was already unlocked.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Yup, you got it - a friend did a similar thing...

he had left his windows open at an audi event. As he walked away from his car, he wanted to make sure that his alarm was *not* armed (wind - motion sensor, etc), so he pressed the unlock button and contined to walk away. Well sure enough the doors lock a few minutes later, his alarm sets, and the wind sets off the motion sensor - He was so positive that he intentionally unlocked to turn it off that he couldn't figure it out - till I walked him though it