A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Im in love with this car, so i need your guys opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im in love with this car, so i need your guys opinions.

I so far have done the CTS replacement (I had the blue one does that mean I have a 99.5?) I have done a oil change on it.
I like to think I am a mechanical inclined.

My car beeps every time it turns on. I think its because of the abs module s it needs to get rebuilt.

My top right control arm has some play.

I think my exhaust mounts or hanger things are worn because I feel this shaking movement when it starts.

Every time I go over a bump I hear something like bounce in the back? Could it be my shocks?

My right side fender was hit so I need a new one and the bumper was scratched but it could be sanded and repainted.

In other words I'm looking for advice. Would it be hard for me to change my control arms? I have a 154pc sears mechanic set. I need two torque wrenches a jack and stands.
My engine is a 30 valve 2.8 v6 158xxx miles 5spd. Is it a ndbw?

What do you guys recommend?

How do I check the tb? Like I said I love the car so I would like to do most of the work since I'm in high school I know its not a corrolla. She's a girl with expensive taste lol.

Sorry if its a useless thread I just want to know what you guys reccomend
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Control arms aren't hard. It's just wrenching....but it all depends on how rusted stuck your pinch bolt is where the two upper arms attach to the spindle.

Originally Posted by Oscar_619
My engine is a 30 valve 2.8 v6 158xxx miles 5spd. Is it a ndbw?
Depends on the year. The AHA 30 valve V6 in 98 and 99 was cable throttle, ATQ in 2000 and 2001 was DBW.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's not a useless thread

Sorry if its a useless thread I just want to know what you guys reccomend
Start with the operational items first. Get the ABS module checked out. Save the cosmetic stuff for later.

You may want to invest in a Bentley manual for your series as well as a VAG-COM so that you can actually diagnose your problems rather than guessing at what the problem is.

Find your nearest Harbor Freight. You will be spending some time there.

Post your questions after searching the forums for answers. Most of us have had the same problems you are or will be having.

Don't be afraid to ask. Lots of knowledge here.

Good luck. Fun car isn't it!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No way you said HF lmao I have been always looking at their tools but since it was cheap like the saying if its to good to be true it usually is. $20 for a torque wrench you must be crazy to pass that up. Can I get a PC thing like you get a laptop and the connector to use or actually invest the hundred dollars for the ECS tuning but they have the low budget one that just tells the codes I don't think you can edit the parameters with it.

as for the Bentley manual why is it called Bentley? I thought vw was the main company or partnership thing.

I used to own a 94 Nissan maxima gxe 4 SPD auto. I do miss it but only because I have to drive my car now in Minnesota's harsh winter Lil. This car is like a monster compare to the maxima awd taking exit ramps at 50 with no slipping
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh yeah, Harbor Freight is like my second home. Consider that most of the tools you buy you only use a relatively few times plus their lifetime warranty and there is no downside.

You can drop about $400 on the VAG-COM and it's worth it to me. Or you can buy a code scanner for $100 and take it from there with Google. The benefit of the VAG is that it can diagnose problems where a code scanner just gives you the code and leaves you on your own.

Don't know why a Bentley is called that. Maybe the publisher's name. Get one anyway. Money well spent.

Let Google and You-tube be your friend. Lots of good stuff both places. Parts can be found on ebay as well as ECS, Blauparts, Audihausaz and many more. 4d4 highly recommends Joe at Axis Motorsports and I have had good, expensive,luck with Shokan for used parts.

Do you know if your timing belt and water pump etc. has been changed recently?

How about valve cover gasket, camn seal oil leaks?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as for the Bentley manual why is it called Bentley? I thought vw was the main company or partnership thing.
Bentley Publishers

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/audi/
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya I have no idea if the timing belt was done so I'm saving up for a kit on ecs or bluaparts I hate how ecs is retarded on there shipping cost. $1 for a o ring and shipping is $11? Lmao anyways I heard not to mess with the valve cover gaskets if they are not leaking. I was looking up engine rebuild kits but many said its not worth it just swap a lower mileage engine in. Not that I would like to swap one in. I have no idea how to.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Right. If you're not leaking oil don't mess with the valve cover gaskets etc. Timing belt and all the attendant pieces like water pump and thermostat plus your serpentine belt need to be high up on the list. Without knowing when it was last done your mileage indicates you would be due soon.

You will need the Bentley or the Blau instructions are very good. I found some good videos on You-tube as well. You will need to rent the tools to do the job. Blau rents them with a purchase of their kit. It's not hard but you will need to put the front end into service position or better yet swing it out of the way for easy access on your 5 gallon bucket.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Every tool I've bought at Harbor Freight lasted about 10 minutes.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Harbor Freight tools are the best!

sometimes 10 minutes is all it takes

Quick Reply: Im in love with this car, so i need your guys opinions.