A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Im in love with this car, so i need your guys opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscar_619
So I have a new question. Oil light came on when cornering hard? Also I saw either smoke or steam when I pulled the oil dipstick out BTW the temp outside was 4°f idk.I don't mean to send dumb but it just has me wondering.
How was the oil level? Have you changed the oil and filter yet?

How is the coolant level? Is it pink?

Not sure that hard cornering causes problems in a 2.8l 30v.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The coolant level is in the normal range in between min and full. When the engine is warmed up. Last oil change I did was at 125xxx now its at 128xxx. I used the Castro blah blah the European spec one. Dip stick was at mid range I would say. How would I need a oil change already I thought that the synthetic oil gives you up to 5xxx intervals. But next time I do it I'm going with rotella and Napa gold filter.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure your levels are all good. I agree with the Rotella synthetic and a good filter. Couldn't hurt.

I always send my first one or two oil change samples to the lab for analysis just to see what's going on inside the engine. I use Blackstone Labs. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I always send my first one or two oil change samples to the lab for analysis just to see what's going on inside the engine. I use Blackstone Labs. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/[/QUOTE]

I just signed up for that kit that you can receive, im actually very interested inwhat they will come up with.

also is it a good weight or oil viscosity to use in Minnesota. since we get below zero in winter and about 90's to 100 in summer?
i will have 5w-40 since that's what rotella is what do you recommend?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Oil recommendation

5 w 40 is good for even you northerners according to the experts at Audi. Rotella and a good filter does the trick.

You will be surprised at what all Balckstone tells you about what's going on inside your 30v. They will tell you how long you can go between changes as well.

Make sure you get the oil good and hot before you get the sample. I used to take the plastic shield/cover off underneath and then drive for about 1/2 hour minimum at speed. Then drain some out befor catching a sample so you don't get bottom stuff.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bob I just don't get it. I bought a OEM CTS from then dealer replaced it and now. It doesn't seem to read right. Its seated well its been maybe a few hundred miles. Not the temp takes a while to show that its hot. Like it goes halfway then goes a lil under half then when I shut the car off and turn the key to on but not starting. It reads halfway mark. Why is it doing this?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oscar, from your description it sounds okay to me.

I watched mine today and it slowly works up to vertical, 12 o'clock and then stays there.

If I shut if off and them restart or just turn the key to on it goes right back to vertical since it hasn't had time to cool down.

Do you sense that you are not heating or overheating?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ya it just seems like its not at the proper temp. Its at 12 then goes to 11 and stays there. So I knew its not the coolant sensor. But oh I guess. I have this clicking sound coming by my mad its like a little tube beat way to describe it. It looks like a plastic fuel filter. But its not. Just to state that out.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oscar_619

I have this clicking sound coming by my mad its like a little tube beat way to describe it. It looks like a plastic fuel filter. But its not. Just to state that out.
Oscar, can you clarify this. I don't get what you're saying here.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh sorry I ment MAF. Its like above it. It has two hoses that connect to it. I'll take a picture and upload it.

Edit: I got the pic up Bob. Any idea why it makes a clicking sound? It goes and comes.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Oscar_619; 01-26-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Im in love with this car, so i need your guys opinions.