A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Impressions: A4 1.8TQM vs. A4 2.8QA (auto)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-1999, 10:12 AM
ALD

Default Impressions: A4 1.8TQM vs. A4 2.8QA (auto)

Yesterday, had brought my 1997 A4 1.8TQM in for servicing and the loaner was a new 99.5 A4 2.8Q with the Tiptronic, with less then 1100 on the Odo. And it was fully loaded. Well, my impressions between the two, granted that one was manual, and the other auto, I prefer my A4 1.8TQM over the 2.8. I felt the engine in the 2.8 was not as lively as the 1.8T. While the handeling and all that other stuff was the same, the engine just did not seem to have the get up and go of the 1.8T. The funny thing about this is that I felt the exact same way when I test drove the Passat back in December, both being Manual. I felt that the 2.8 was just not as lively as the 1.8T Passat.<br>I also put into account the extra weight of the quattro, and the fact that it is an auto, but, I should have felt the power of the engine. But it just did not seem like it was there. I am wondering if any others have felt this also.<p>ALD
Old 06-17-1999, 10:21 AM
mpd333

Default Sounds about right

I would agree with you - I think the 1.8 is much more "peppy" of an engine. Though the 2.8 is more smooth/refined. Since I do a lot of highway driving (without much traffic), the smoothness and power of the 2.8 is what I like.
Old 06-17-1999, 10:57 AM
Rhema

Default Re: I disagree...

I testdrove both also..<br>I felt that the 4-cyl stock was underpowered and struggled over the car's weight. Felt slow and lagged...<p>V6, baby~
Old 06-17-1999, 11:06 AM
ALD

Was that the Auto or Manual?
Old 06-17-1999, 11:17 AM
phred

Default Of course it's not as good ...

you're driving a slushbox. I am constantly impressed with the power of my 2.8 manual in 2nd and 3rd gear -- I'm sure it would leave a 1.8 in the dust in the midrange. I'm afraid this is a classic apples and oranges. But hey, the good news is you like the car you own better, and that's always nice.
Old 06-17-1999, 12:06 PM

If the 1.8T is so much better, why isn't it the &quot;more expensive&quot; model?
Old 06-17-1999, 12:16 PM
MichaelB

Default Couple of comments...

First, the 2.8 most definitely loosens up a lot after 4000 miles. Prior to break-in, it feels very tight.<p>Second, it is easy to perceive the additional noise and roughness of the 1.8 as speed. The 2.8 is so smooth that the perception of speed isn't as strong.<p>Third, the 1.8T does feel lively at low rpms where the 2.8 may not due to the fact that the torque curve makes peak power at 1850 rpms. Get the revs up a bit higher and the 2.8 will start to feel a lot stronger.<p>Fourth, the manual makes a HUGE difference, so you are not comparing apples to apples. Why do you think they call it a "slushbox".<p>Mike
Old 06-17-1999, 12:22 PM
Lazlo

Default It could be just what you are used to.....

I am a 12v owner, and i test drove a 1.8Tqm the other day, and i didn't like it at all. It felt undepowered and enimic to me. Maybe if i was coming from another 4 cylinder, i would have liked the 1.8T a little more. Who knows. But now i just can't go back. I'm addicted to the 2.8, and the feeling of having something substantial under the hood. Also, the auto is MUCH slower than the 5 speed, so i would try the manual if you get the chance. The other thing to keep in mind is that the 1.8T makes a heck of a lot more noise than the 2.8, and that may give it the impression of being more lively. Both great engines.
Old 06-17-1999, 12:27 PM
ALD

Default I mean over all pulling power, more...

I felt that the throttle responce was delayed, and that the car did not pull as hard as the 1.8T. But I just realized something, maybe my 1.8T is chipped. I did buy it preowned. <br>
Old 06-17-1999, 01:33 PM
sbr

Default opposite impression here (long)

I'm on my second A4 loaner car, waiting on delivery of my 99.5 Avant 2.8Q (Tip, sport, leather, sunroof, Bose...all the goodies!). The first loaner was a 98.5 2.8 FWD Tip Avant. I had it for about a week and absolutely loved the way it drove and handled, in spite of its lack of quattro and the sports package. It pulled smoothly and strongly from a stop to redline in all gears (at least those I got through). The motor was quiet and torquey. Unfortunately they sold it out from under me (it went for just under 29K!) and replaced it with a 97 1.8T FWD auto - not Tiptronic. I've been driving this car for almost three weeks now. Don't get me wrong in the following, I don't mean to offend anyone, and the loaner is a free car for me until my Avant arrives, but this thing is a bit of a dog. The 0 - 30 accelleration is pathetic. You put your foot down and nearly nothing happens (bridge to engine room, full speed ahead, sometime today please). From about 30 or 35 on, it gets quicker, however, and starts acting like an Audi A4. Even with the higher-speed quickness, the motor is loud and rough in comparison with the 2.8. I'd never be happy with this drive train combination. <p>The Tip appears to be a substantial improvement over its predecessor, from what I observed test driving two 1.8 Avants and two similarly-equipped Passats. I did like those, but in the end found the 2.8 to suit my tastes much better. I'm sure a comparison between cars with manual transmissions would improve my impression of the 1.8T: there's so much enthusiasm here for that motor, especially when chipped, that there no doubt is much fun to be had there. Bottom line for me: given that I have to have an automatic (too much stop & go clutching drives my lower back crazy) the 2.8 is the best choice.<br>

Quick Reply: Impressions: A4 1.8TQM vs. A4 2.8QA (auto)