A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Initial Impressions of AWE-Tuning Stage 2 Clutch Kit (AEB)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial Impressions of AWE-Tuning Stage 2 Clutch Kit (AEB)

My Car:
1999 Passat1.8t, 71K miles.

Mods:

10K miles: Wetterauer 1 bar chip and K&N Air Filter added.
36K miles: Mintex front and rear brake pads installed
49K miles: H&R OE springs and Koni Sport adjustable shocks installed.
56K miles: MTM Stainless Cat-back exhuast system installed.
57K miles: Timing Belt and tensioner installed.
58K miles: Bosch F5DPOR plugs installed. Wetterauer Stage 2 chip installed. A8 Front rotors installed.
71K miles: AWE-Tuning Stage 2 Clutch kit installed with new OEM Flywheel.

First, kudos to Ron at AWE for saving the day. My mechanic has a business relationship with Hoppen, so when we discussed clutch options, Hoppen's version of the Sachs Sport clutch was the easy choice. We had made plans several weeks prior for me to leave the car with my mechanic (Joe) for the entire week of June 15th. Joe ordered the clutch from Hoppen in plenty of time, but he got a call from them the day before I was leaving for vacation. They said they'd need another week to get a clutch to him.

I called Mike Potter first, but he could only guarantee that he could get an OEM clutch in the necessary time frame. No help. So I called AWE. I explained the situation to Ron, who went and got my clutch off the shelf while I waited on the phone. He addressed it and shipped it 2nd Day Air, again while I waited. Cost was $499.00 plus $50 shipping.

One reason why I had wanted to leave the car all week was because I wasn't 100 percent certain that I would need a flywheel. Based upon what I've read, the probability was high that I'd need one, but I didn't want to shell out 5 or 6 hundred dollars until I was sure. I had decided that I wanted to go with the OEM dual mass flywheel if replacement was necessary, because I wanted to retain the drivability and OEM feel of the clutch. This way, Joe could make the call about replacing the flywheel after inspecting the old one. Needless to say, it needed replacing. In fact, there's no warranty on the AWE clutch kit unless you either replace or resurface your existing flywheel. As I understand it, you cannot resurface a dual mass flywheel, which means replacement is the only option. So, if you want a warranty on the AWE kit, plan on buying a flywheel. The OEM unit is $600. So, the kit with OEM flywheel is $1100. OTOH, if you buy the AWE (lightened) flywheel, total cost is $992.00.

Installation ran me $350.00, which doesn't seem too bad considering the fact that its major surgery.

Now, to the drving part. For starters, my original clutch didn't seem to fail like the clutches on other cars I've owned. It could be my imagination, or perhaps my right foot, but instead of the "brick wall" effect that I've expereinced in the past, this clutch seemed more subtle. There have been times when I punched it and nothing happened , but mostly it just seemed to only deliver the power and torque that it was capable of delivering. In other words, it wasn't an ON/OFF sort of thing. More like a gradual loss of ability to transfer power.

As I posted earlier this week, the AWE clutch kit's instructions state that: "During the first 500 miles of usage, avoid clutch dumps, full throttle standing starts, and immediate full throttle transitions while moving." My mechanic reported to me that the clutch did in fact slip when you punched it. This concerned me at first, but after driving on it for two days, my fears have been eliminated. As a general rule, I don't dump my clutch routinely. I haven't been able to get it to slip. Granted, I've been treating in somewhat gingerly, but sometimes the actual road circumstances dictate how you drive. Over the course of the last two days, I've been in situations where I've needed lots of power in a hurry. The clutch has performed perfectly. Power is highly available and there's plenty of it on tap. Unlike my old clutch, the new one begins to engage almost immediately upon its travel. Although it no more difficult to shift than the OEM clutch, it feels a lot stronger. Its rated at 300 hp and 300 ft/lbs, so I've got a lot of mods to do before I can overrun this clutch.

With only two days and perhaps 150 miles on it, I don't have a wealth of information. But so far, I'm very pleased. Its transformed the car in the sense that I'm now able to fully avail myself of the power and torque gains afforded by the chip and exhaust. The difference between the old clutch and the new one is literally "night and day".

Again, many thanks to AWE and Ron@AWE for his help.

Regards,
_______

Kenny Payne
99 Wett 1.8t 5-speed
Colorado Red
Old 06-27-2003, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Isn't the break-in period 500 miles?

You shouldn't be high revving or dumping for that period, or else your clutch will not last very long
Old 06-27-2003, 06:59 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

He already knows that/said that...his post is just preliminary feedback.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default $350 for an install?! my mechanic wants $1500 for the labor

where did you get it done?
Old 06-27-2003, 07:28 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Book time on the job is about 10 hours...

What's your mechanic smoking? I think the $1500 quote must be parts AND labor.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:45 AM

Is the AWE kit a southbend?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Is the AWE kit a southbend?

Yes.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: $350 for an install?! my mechanic wants $1500 for the labor

Jeppesen Imports in Chanhassen, Minnesota.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Ever heard of Anderson Motorsport?

I recognized Chanhassen, and remembered they're up there and I know they sell MTM stuff.....don't know if they do clutch installs though. Just a thought.

Andy
Old 06-27-2003, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Ever heard of Anderson Motorsport?

Yea, they're co-located with Jeppesen, at the intersection of Quattro and Ruf roads. Its actually Keith(Anderson) who's the Hoppen reseller. Joe does VW and RUF Porsches.

Regards,

Kenny

Quick Reply: Initial Impressions of AWE-Tuning Stage 2 Clutch Kit (AEB)