A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Insidious Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-1999, 11:56 AM
Dan Lazarine

Default Insidious Brake Dust

I have a 99 A4 Avant and am losing my patience with the amount of brake dust that thing generates. Has any body out there used the Kleenwheels wheel covers? Are they potentially hazardous to the health of the whhels and brake components? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-1999, 12:02 PM
david

change the pads, man!
Old 08-13-1999, 12:03 PM
Rob MacK

Default Do not go this route unless..

you want warped rotors or worse. Best solution to the brake dust problem is to get new brake pads: Mintex Redbox (what I use), Rofren, Raybestos etc... Once you put the new pads on, the dust will disappear or decrease dramtically. Brake shields cause excessive heat buildup and have very nasty tendencies to warp rotors etc...on A4s. See FAQs for info on brake pads. HTH
Old 08-13-1999, 12:06 PM
audi tech. advisor

Default Re: Insidious Brake Dust

brake dust is normal and mostly in front and that happens on all cars
maybe you should ck. around you! it doesnt meen that your brakes are gone
it simply meens taht they are working well!!! audi tech. adbisor.
Old 08-13-1999, 12:12 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Ha, ha...typical "company line"

nt
Old 08-13-1999, 12:15 PM
Mike

His spelling while wrong...really doesn't sound German either....hmmm...
Old 08-13-1999, 12:24 PM
Andy Hedin

Default Re: Insidious Brake Dust

<i>brake dust is normal and mostly in front and that happens on all cars</i>
This is true, BUT German cars seem to have a lot more brake dust compared to Japanese or American cars. So depending on what your previous car was, the Audi brake dust might seem normal or it might seem totally excessive.
<i>maybe you should ck. around you! it doesnt meen that your brakes are gone it simply meens taht they are working well!!! audi tech. adbisor.</i>
Funny, but I don't recall the original poster ever mentioning that "his brakes were gone"...where are you getting this from?
Old 08-13-1999, 12:40 PM
J.Russ

Default It's a German thing

Ever notice the number of bimmers, MBs and Audis with grimey -- and I mean REALLY grimey -- wheels? It's the compound they put into the disks. There are replacement disks on the market which reportedly eliminate this problem. Otherwise, live with it. I just scrub my seven-spokers down with each washing. A bit of wax doesn't hurt, either.
Old 08-13-1999, 01:01 PM
DaveL

Default Its not the disks but the pads. Replacing pads will greatly reduce dust....

Rofens, Mintex, Raybestos, etc... are various pad choices.
Old 08-13-1999, 01:27 PM
qt4lddht

Default Check out www.brakepads.com

nt

Quick Reply: Insidious Brake Dust