A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Installed the BassLink last night. And for all those people who told me to tap the rear speakers..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed the BassLink last night. And for all those people who told me to tap the rear speakers..

for input. Well....It sounds like my stinky ***! My head hurts from the muddled crappy bass I heard on the way to work this morning. I think I need some Vicodin to make my head stop hurting.

When I adjust the Bass from the head unit the Basslink changes? That's not right. Those rear Bose speakers are putting out an amplfied signal and sending it to the BassLink.

Bad Idea!!

Tonight I'll get the line level inputs to the Bose Amp.

Will this make a dramitic difference for the better?, cause If not you SoCal peeps can find a nice BassLink laying on the side of the 405 near Jamboree.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:58 AM
Rest In Peace

*cough*toldyaso*cough*
Old 03-27-2002, 08:03 AM

Default When you figure out the line level outputs from the Bose amp, shoot me an email.

I'm thinking about running an amp off of those line levels.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:08 AM

Default golden rule: Line level inputs blow monkey ***..

Sorry that you wasted your time, whoever gave you that advice knows nothing about car audio
Old 03-27-2002, 08:11 AM

Default Re: golden rule: Line level inputs blow monkey ***..

I know right!! Do you think taping the line levels before the Bose amp will make a big difference over using the post bose amplified speaker lines?

I definetly shouldn't be able to adjust the bass on the sub by changing the head unit bass setting i don't think?

It should all be controlled form the gain on the amp right?
Old 03-27-2002, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duh.... you can't (shouldn't) feed an amp an amplified signal.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:13 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Something else is going on then...(any other knowledgable opinions on high to low converters?)

I've seen nice installs done where the sub signal was pulled from an amplified line, and fed into a hi-to-low converter built into the amp (like the basslink has), and it works fine. No muddy bass (at least no muddier than in my car, which uses the line level signal from the headunit). Maybe the Bose amplifier is the mystery component causing the problem?

Where did you set the crossover on the sub? You need to spend time adjusting this, but it's more a "fine tuning" step, and I doubt it's the source of the problem you're describing.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:17 AM

Where were you yesterday? :-)
Old 03-27-2002, 08:20 AM

Default Are you sure the Basslink has a High to Low converter??

It doesn't mention that in the manual. Also I tweaked the settings a bit and the crossover is around the middle. It just doesn't sound right.

I keep asking, but no one has answered, should I be able to adjust the bass on the head unit and have it effect the Basslink? I don't think it should and it does.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Likewise...maybe I was too technical about it but I explained how BOSE does their

EQ for the rear speakers and how you wouldn't want to route that to the rear speakers.

BTW - The tone controls will more than likely still effect the line level outputs...just a guess but I have a feeling those get passed thru the tone control circuitry as well...but this is NOT the same as the EQ back at the speaker which you don't want applied to the signal going into your basslink.

Quick Reply: Installed the BassLink last night. And for all those people who told me to tap the rear speakers..