A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Installed boost gauge over the weekend. Turbo boost and cool down questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed boost gauge over the weekend. Turbo boost and cool down questions.

I installed a boost gauge over the weekend and noticed that the car runs in vacuum state most of the time except for when you're on the gas. This is also confirmed at Seans A4 page. So does that mean the turbo is not spooling? If it does, then is the cool down really that necessary if the car is running in a vacuum state most of the time? I have been religiously idling the car for one minute before I turn the car off. I had always thought this was to let the turbo to spool down. Plus, I usually take it really easy just before I park the car. I can see the benefit of letting the car cool down after a spirited run but I'm wondering now if the one minute cool down is really necessary. Maybe I'm doing more harm by letting it idle each time? Maybe I should shorten the cool down cycle? Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2001, 09:35 AM

Default Turbo cool-down is not implemented to "spool-down" the turbo, it's to...

keep oil circulating through the turbo as it cools down so oil doesn't sit and fry (itself and the turbo).
Old 06-18-2001, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Installed boost gauge over the weekend. Turbo boost and cool down questions.

You're right...the majority of the time (depending on your driving style of course), your car runs at vacuum. In other words, you're not using the turbo. However, I'm not sure that you can assume a shorter idle-down time just because the turbo was spooled up maybe a total of a minute over a 30 min timespan. You've still got hot oil circulating through the turbo because it's connected to the entire oil system, of course. So unless you've gone on a really really short drive (ie...oil temp stays low), you're best off idling down for at least a minute EVERY TIME. hope this clears things up....

Andy
Old 06-18-2001, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well...

Your engine spends most of the time pulling a vacuum on the intake side, as you confirmed with the boost gauge. Though it's important to note that whenever the engine is running, particularly when you're at speed, say around 2-3 thousand RPM, a large volume of exhaust gas is passing through the turbo, all the time. This gas is hot, around 1400 F and it all has to pass through the turbo first.

Even when you're not "on the boost" your turbo's bearings are still working. Turbo's spin at incredibly high rates even when there is no noticeable boost effect.