A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Installed Brullen Cat Back 2.8 30v Q over the weekend...impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-1999, 04:30 AM
Rob Bandler

Default Installed Brullen Cat Back 2.8 30v Q over the weekend...impressions

The parts are very high quality and came packaged very securely. I purchased from LLtek. All work was done on my back under the car on jack stands. God, I wish I had a lift!<p>I unbolted the stock system, which came out quite easily, and was amazed at how heavy it is. LLtek says the Brullen system is 25 pounds lighter. This worried me, as most of the weight savings seems to be in the resonator. My experience with a GTI was that removing the resonator made the system so "boomy" I could only stand it for one day. But I digress...<p>Had to wrestle with the "Y" portion of the pipe to get it to slide all the way on. Angles were not perfect on my car. Very close, but that and lack of leverage from my prone position made it a wrestling match. I won and it was on to the center section. No problems there. To the muff. Went on easily, but I had to unbolt the hanger from the car to get it on and then put the bolts back in. No big deal. The clamps were high quality stainless sheet metal affairs that worked very well. Sealed perfectly and felt as solid as a weld.<p>Took a break at this point to clean up and change clothes before driving. My wife said I looked like Pig Pen when I came in the house with an acre of topsoil in tow. I think I caught my 8 year old son looking at me with pride. He was sure up untill that point that no one could get dirtier than he could. You the man, Dad!<p>Test drive! Fired her up and was suprised at the rumble at idle. Sounded like testosterone. Pulled out of the driveway and it sounded good running through the gears. A little popping when letting off the gas, sounded cool. Fairly quiet at speed, with no boominess. No buzzes, rattles or problems at all. Tips look great, nothing hangs down and I am satisfied with the parts and install. <p>Performance? Couldn't tell during the short drive. I have been told the ECU needs time to adjust.<p>Is it worth it? Saves lots of weight, looks cool from the back, business like sounds... Costs a lot, $739.00. You decide. I got it because my PES Supercharger comes this week and if I am going to put that much more air and fuel in, I have to let it out!<p>I will post about the supercharger install in detail when complete.
Old 02-08-1999, 05:38 AM
wc

Default Re: Installed Brullen Cat Back 2.8 30v Q over the weekend...impressions

no welding of tubes? i didn't think this was a handyman install i'm glad to hear that it is. to bad you don't have pictures to show install for us to maybe work from. with your success i might do that myself. sure would like to know if you can tell any performance gains. goodluck and have fun with your soon to be killer a4. i have been thinking about a stebro cat back, with free-flow cats.<br>wc 2.8 ram-air qms wett
Old 02-08-1999, 06:28 AM
Rob Bandler

Default Re: Installed Brullen Cat Back 2.8 30v Q over the weekend...impressions

I will probably get enough miles before the supercharger to see some changes in the ECU. If I do, I will post. <p>No pictures necessary of the install (not that I could fit a camera under there). Things only go together one way. No way to mis-assemble it. Just a matter of grunting a lot and wriggling around in the dirt.
Old 02-08-1999, 06:52 AM
Oscar

Re: Are the tubes mandrel bent?
Old 02-08-1999, 07:33 AM
Rob Bandler

Default Re: Are the tubes mandrel bent?

Yes. The problem was that the angle of the Y and the angles that the two downpipes came in at were not EXACTLY the same. Close. Maybe off by 1 degree. Just enough to make one side fit, or the other, but not both at the same time. Took lots of grunting, twisting, swearing, wishing for a lift, etc.
Old 02-08-1999, 08:40 AM
Oscar

Thanks, I am still considering exhaust and chip for my 1.8TQM
Old 02-08-1999, 08:53 AM
ErikR

Are the tubes mandrel bent?Yes for 2.8 apparently, is the 1.8 mandrel bent too (lltec say no?? but?) nt.
Old 02-08-1999, 10:41 AM
Oscar

That is what I have heard before, that the 1.8T is NOT mandrel bent
Old 02-08-1999, 11:05 AM
pdw

Default Where did you put the jack stands?

The reason I ask is, if you follow Audi's advice, it's impossible to jack up the car and put it on stands. There's only 4 official jack points and two more in front that are obviously jack points.<p>I'd appreciate a response on this very much.
Old 02-08-1999, 06:28 PM
KurtW

Default Mine DEFINITELY are not (2.8 30V). Started checking last week. . . .

for someone to remake the pipe section so that (a) It fits without rubbing either the casting just behind the Y-pipe or the pipe by the spare tire well or the ground , depending upon which way it was twisted, and (b) It won't have the "muffler shop special" crimped bends.<br>As much as I love the sounds of this exhaust, as does everyone else, I was dissappointed that it was SO difficult to get to fit even closely to haw it should, and LLTek states that exhaust components cannot be returned once installed (or attempted).<br>Someone just a few posts ago mentioned a company called XL Motorsports here in TX that may be fabricating some exhausts, I'm definitely interested.<br>Any others?

Quick Reply: Installed Brullen Cat Back 2.8 30v Q over the weekend...impressions