A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Installed JL Stealthbox and PPI amp last night. My comments. . .(more, super long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-1999, 05:49 AM
Tech_Ko

Default Installed JL Stealthbox and PPI amp last night. My comments. . .(more, super long)

To give my engine an opportunity to break-in, I decided to start with audio modifications. I was looking to mildly modify my A4 (I had a $4,000 system in my Integra before). It's safe to say, lesson learned. While my Integra sounded great 4K is too much to spend for everyone to hear me coming down the street; plus I'm older now, there are a lot better things I could have done with the money.<p>So that brings me to my decision to buy a JL Stealthbox. I used JL subs in my Integra and loved them to death; so for me, JL was the way to go. But what I was really looking for was sound quality and functionality. Unlike my Integra, I didn't want to loose my entire trunk to an audio system. The Stealthbox offered me great performance, style, functionality, and security(the thing is really bolted down good, no one can just walk away with it like was a box held down by straps). <p>I choose a PPI PC2200 amp because of it's clean power and great reputation. I'm running it bridged 200 X 1 at 4 Ohms. <p>The installation took me about three hours to complete. I have a 99.5 and was already aware that the Stealthbox wouldn't fit in perfectly (the carpet side-wall is a little different and cutting is necessary). I decided to fully mount the Stealthbox before I did any cutting, that way I could ensure a perfect fit. I had to get help to get it up under the deck. I had a friend hold it up while I bolted it in. Once it was in, the right side carpet of the trunk was perfect but the right side was being pushed in. As a result, there was about a four inch gap between left corner of the car and the carpet. <p>This is just what I expected. I only had to cut the carpet side-wall on the left because the right side already fit perfectly. I started by making a 4-5 inch vertical slit in the carpet behind the left side of the Stealthbox (completely out of view). I then cut a little at a time, progressing rearward, following the contour of the Stealthbox. The more I cut the more the more the side-wall returned to its normal shape. It only took me about ten minutes to complete the cutting and you have to get in the trunk to even be able to tell I cut anything.<p>I decided to mount my amp horizontally on the back of the driver side rear seat. The PC2200 fit perfectly (PPI makes some really long amps, this isn't one of them). I know a couple of people on the forum decided to mount thier amp under the carpet in the spare tire well. I decided against it because I tend to go on long drive with the windows open and my system turned all the way up. Given that type of usage (eventhough PPI amps can work well with little air circulation)I decided that over the long run, it was better to mount it on the rear seat.<p>Opinion: The Stealthbox is everything I expected it to be. I strongly recommend to any orger's looking to add a sub.<p>Caveat: The Stealthbox replaces you rear speakers. That's not a big deal to me because I believe there should only be "rear fill" anyway. I accomplished this by not using the crossover on the amp and allowing the subs to play full range, thus providing adequate rear fill.<p>The box isn't cheap. I purchased it from www.soundpros.com for $500 and the amp for $270. At $500, it's clearly on the high side, but for what I was looking for, it was perfect.<p>The sub uses two infinite baffle 8" subs. That means they use the trunk as the enclosure. This box is not for anyone who wants to open their trunk to blast music at a barbeque.<p>Well, that's it. If any one has any questions, please follow up by posting or e-mailing me. I be posting pictures of the install shortly.<p>Take care,<p>Tech_KO<br>Silver 99.5 1.8T QSM, 2000 miles
Old 07-08-1999, 07:28 AM
Rob MacK

Default Nice! We would love some pics though..

especially me! I'm seriously thinking about the Stealthbox, and replacing the fronts while I'm at it, and adding a decent amp. Maybe all for around $1K w/ installation. I have a 98.5 so the Stealhbox should fit OK. How much does it impede trunk space? I would like to retain the functional trunk, it does come in useful sometimes. I hope that it doesn't fill up the whole thing and render it useless. Comments appreciated.<p>Rob
Old 07-08-1999, 08:24 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Here's a pic of the StealthBox installed...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/bbs/a4/9937/messages/293.shtml">StealthBox Install</a></li></ul>
Old 07-08-1999, 08:53 AM
Rob MacK

Saw that recently, need a pic taken from lower down though. Thanks Andy
Old 07-08-1999, 09:49 AM
Audiboy

Default I see one draw back..

I haven't check yet on where the rear heater vents are for the Audi, but on my other car with underseat amp installation, it blocks the flow of air, hence the "unlucky rear passenger" gets cold feet for a while on a cold winter day :-)<br> Also, after time, some foam particles from the seat fell to the amp, but, nothing to worry about unless the amp has cooling fans
Old 07-08-1999, 10:44 AM
del

Default A few notes on your stereo install.

I noticed that you purchased from Sound Pros in San Diego, after visiting their site I noticed that this was the same store that I worked for, and was sponsored by in college for Sound shows. I didn't know they were on the internet now.<p>Running the rear subs full-range. Bad, stop doing that. Subs aren't meant to do that. I am sure you can find someplace to put in some small plate speakers for rear fill. Your subs will run much better, and cleaner if you do not put high frequencies through them. I think you would be much happier with only the subs in the rear, and the rest of the staging in the front. Try that and see how you like it.<p>In my old GTI show car I had only subs, and 2 6.5" mid bass speakers in the rear. That was more than enough rear fill. You want your staging in the front, not the rear. When you go to a concert do you stand with your back to the stage?<p>
Old 07-08-1999, 11:17 AM
Tech_KO

I agree, thats why I chose to install the amp on the rear passengers (drivers side) seatback, effectively in the trunk.
Old 07-08-1999, 11:22 AM
Audiboy

oops, my bad. I missed the word &quot;rear&quot;
Old 07-08-1999, 11:24 AM
Tech_Ko

Thanks Del, I'll try using the crossover on the amp.