A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Installing Adj A4 front Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Adj A4 front Control Arms

recently i hit a big pot hole and think i bent a control arm because my car pulls to the left now. i was planning to upgrade my suspension anyways and nows a good time since gruven has the SPC control arms on sale -
http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/...category_id=60

but will those also work on the lower control arms or is there adjustable lower control arm versions as well? i dont want to replace my oem arm with another oem arm if its just going to bend again
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I bought the adjustable ones from gruvenparts it's lowest price I could find that's a screaming deal. I will let u know how the install goes
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

FYI - 034 also sells these so there are 2 good places to get them!

Originally Posted by AudiNut87
recently i hit a big pot hole and think i bent a control arm because my car pulls to the left now. i was planning to upgrade my suspension anyways and nows a good time since gruven has the SPC control arms on sale -
http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/...category_id=60

but will those also work on the lower control arms or is there adjustable lower control arm versions as well? i dont want to replace my oem arm with another oem arm if its just going to bend again
Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

another question i thought of - what is the largest tire I can reasonably use without rubbing on the fender? im going to get a new tire/wheel set from tire rack since they will mount/balance free, all I have to do is bolt them on.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

bump for this question

another question i thought of - what is the largest tire I can reasonably use without rubbing on the fender? im going to get a new tire/wheel set from tire rack since they will mount/balance free, all I have to do is bolt them on.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Adjustable upper and lower control arms is a bit pointless!
The only reason to get the adjustable upper's is to adjust camber (which can be slightly adjusted via the k-frame cam mountings as well).
I suspect they aren't any stronger than stock units.
The factory control arms are quite well designed (ball joints and bushes aside) and from stock provide exceptional handling. They still use the same basic design on current models.

Tyres depend largely on what wheels you're buying with what offset.
I use 235's on my B5 on 17 x 8's et35. They sit pretty flush with the guards (fenders) and the tyres fit well through lock-to-lock. You may be able to go wider (245's for example, though I don't know how they'll fit) and I think you can go a slightly wider offset (et32).
18's are a common wheel diameter on B5's, and I think 19's might fit if you're a bit mad!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

ok thanks for that info. is yours lowered and do you have issues with hitting the wheels into the top of fender?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It came with sports suspension from the factory.
I replaced the original Sachs front shocks (when they were worn) with Bilstiens which are slightly lower (on Audi front suspension, the spring mount on the shock is partly reponsible for ride height)
I have no fitment or clearance issues whatsoever.

Handles great, and no uneven tyre wear.
In fact, unless you're planning on slamming it and going super-wide with the wheels up inside the guards (fenders), I don't really see the point in adjustable uppers (unless you plan on tracking it of course).

The pics in my "garage" are old and pre-bilsteins.

Below is a more recent shot with the ASA's I bought when one of the BBS's cracked (since replaced, but the ASA's are still on the car for now):

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 11-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

looks really nice. it is not lowered though. Mine is maybe 1" lower, maybe 1/2" lower. totally screws up camber, wears out tires in 10k.

how many miles do you get out of those front tires?

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
It came with sports suspension from the factory.
I replaced the original Sachs front shocks (when they were worn) with Bilstiens which are slightly lower (on Audi front suspension, the spring mount on the shock is partly reponsible for ride height)
I have no fitment or clearance issues whatsoever.

Handles great, and no uneven tyre wear.
In fact, unless you're planning on slamming it and going super-wide with the wheels up inside the guards (fenders), I don't really see the point in adjustable uppers (unless you plan on tracking it of course).

The pics in my "garage" are old and pre-bilsteins.

Below is a more recent shot with the ASA's I bought when one of the BBS's cracked (since replaced, but the ASA's are still on the car for now):

Old 11-11-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks really nice.
How many miles do you get out of those front tires?
Thanks!
Front tyres wear evenly - those are Kumho KU31's and they lasted about 50,000km (30,000 miles odd...).
There is a bit of camber adjustment available through the K-frame (most alignment joints don't know this - find out where your local dealer goes), which may be enough.
Otherwise go ahead with the adjustable upper arms.

It is not lowered though.
It is lowered! Just not as low as yours
Still hits everything and tells me where every bump in the road is!
Have you seen a B5 with stock suspension? Great 4x4 stance!

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 11-11-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing Adj A4 front Control Arms