A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Installing used chipped ECU Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing used chipped ECU Q's

Sorry if this is a noob repeat....

I'm looking at buying a used chipped ECU for my 2000 1.8TQ Tip Avant (DBW). I have a few questions before I decide to do it.

1) I believe I've read that you can re-code an ECU from Manual to Tip after it is installed via Vag-Com. Is this correct? The ECU is from a manual 2000 1.8TQ.

2) What other things (settings or procedures) will I need to do? What do I need the VAG for and what will it take care of itself?

Is it the same as if I disconnect my battery? i.e. Wait for computer to reload it's program before starting and re-set the windows and all that stuff,
or will I need to do more complicated things like re-calibrate my throttle body, etc since the ECU is from a different car?
I did do a search, and found a post that implied that the ECU itself will re-adapt the throttle body if allowed to reload properly. Is this the case?

3) is there anything else need to check / verify before I go ahead with this?

Thanks for everybody's help,
-Sonny

Another expensive hobby......
I thought I got away from spending all of my money on my car when I sold my Jeep....
I guess it never ends!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Info..

Using the VAG, read your soft codes from the ECU you have now. That soft code tells the car if you are tip/manual, quattro/fwd. Enter the same softcode onto the new ECU after you plug it in, before you start the car.

When you remove the ECU, you do not need to disconnect the battery, however remove the key from the ignition (or have the key in, but off mode).

When you put the new ECU in, turn key to on position, but do not start car right away. You will here a high pitched noise and some clicks as it does throttle body alignment. THis usually only takes 20 seconds or so. Wait a minute to be safe. THen, clear the codes on the ECU via VAG (even if there is none, this resets your long term fuel trims), set your softcodes.. and finally, start the car.. let it idle a bit before taking off to make sure everything is running fine.

Enjoy!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Info..

Thanks a lot for the info.......