A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Issues with Pure snubmount

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with Pure snubmount

This is on a 98.5 V6 quattro.

Recently I installed new tranny mounts, motor mounts, and a PureMS snub mount. The motor mounts and tranny mounts went on in a few hours. I did not change the snub that day. The results were amazing after having 130k on the stock setup. Shifting, feel, response were all improved.

The next weekend I put on the Pure snub (about 2-3 weeks ago now) and this is where the issues began. The old rubber mount completely fell apart taking it off, into about 4 pieces. I was able to get the Pure mount on doing the "cheater" method, without using the service position. I had to cut a SMALL notch on the mount, barely the width of the engine's torque rod, and about 1/4" deep, to slip it over the rod. A couple of busted knuckles later it was on. I lowered the engine down and put the shroud in place.

The shroud did not make contact with the mount anywhere. There was a gap around the mount, roughly 1/4" (estimated) all around. In front of the mount, the mount does not contact anything.

I have never done this before, and did not note the fitment of the OEM mount. I figured this was correct, but it seemed odd that the mount did not touch anything.

After driving it, I noticed no difference in feel. The difference was the noise it made starting in first gear. I get a "clunk" noise when starting from a standstill. If I start in first VERY gently, and don't give it any gas, then shift to 2nd and give it some gas, it will also clunk. It seems that the clunk is related to the engine rocking. It will not clunk at all if the car has made the initial clunk.

If i keep it in first, at a low speed, and gas it, let off, gas it, let off, it will clunk with each throttle application.

In addition, when coming to a stop while going down a steep hill, from maybe 10-3 mph, i get a "creak" noise from the front. This only happened after the snub install, since I take the same road every day. The noise gets worse the harder I come to the stop.

The next weekend, I went under the car again, checked fitment of everything I touched, and all the motor/tranny/subframe bolts were fine. I noted that the snub was indeed not contacting the shroud or anything in front of it.

This is the best description I can give of what's happening. I plan to put the car in the service position (a first for me) and install a new OEM mount.

Does anyone have a part number for the OEM mount for an AHA engine? Does anyone have any other thoughts on my situation? I'm guessing I got a 1.8T mount from PureMS.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I saw the same thing when I install the PureMS on my 98.5 1.8T: there were no contact anywhere....

between the snub and the shroud.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:42 AM

It's not meant to touch - just be very close to the shroud. If it touches you'll get crazy vibration
Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There should only be a mild clearance between the APR snub and the shroud

It sounds like you have the wrong snub, on my '01 I actually had to sand a couple of mm off of the snub.

I know purems has the stock snubs, $10-$15.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just curious then...

Why is it called a "mount" if it isn't contacting anything? It seemed like the stock rubber one was actually filling up the shroud.

If there's supposed to be clearance between the mount and the shroud, what is the point of using the mount at all?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have to agree...

My '99.5 silver car has the greedspeed one that kind of looks like the purems one. No contact and lots of vibration. '00 Hibiscus has the APR, no modification to it and was a snug fit, no vibration.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my APR snub makes contact... or at least is w/in 1/16" MAX top and bottom...

there should not be 1/4" of clearance like that... did you by chance get the wrong kind?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, I was a bit disappointed when I had the PureMS snub in, felt no difference....

That is the only mod I felt wasted my money in (I choose my mods very careful) I just did it because I was doing the TB.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree with you, it should made some contact, there should be some vibration feel....

but it should tighten the drive train a bit more
Old 01-04-2007, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My guess is it's for a 1.8T, not a 2.8

Even though I made a point to order it over the phone, and ordered it with (correct) 2.8 engine and trans mounts.

I felt NO difference in feel, and dare I say it felt a tad worse than the stock rubber mount (I'm guessing because there is no contact). Although this could be due to winter, and it's effect on the Audi's shifter feel.

My issues are not with feel or vibration, it's the annoying "clunk" everytime I drive off from a stop. It is the similar, but louder, than the sound a shot tie rod end makes. I can even feel it a little.

I'm going to have to do the service position/new OEM snub mount. I guess it's finally time to learn how to do this after 3+ years of ownership.

Quick Reply: Issues with Pure snubmount