A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I've got a story to tell. (long.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They replaced a spring.......not the cylinder !!
Old 02-12-2002, 09:59 AM

Default I guess your expectations are lower then mine. I understand they replaced the spring but obviously..

it is an integral part of the engines proper function and after he spend 27K 16,000 mile later he's stuck in 15 degree weather waiting for a tow truck. I'd be unhappy.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what those DTC's said.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:06 AM

Default Re: I guess

Your glass can be viewed as Half full or half empty......I prefer to view the fact that the repaires were done under warranty as a good thing !!but then again some people are never happy !!
Old 02-12-2002, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think you need be worried. Unfortunately, it was bite *** cold,

but overall, it seems you had a very pleasant service experience. Unfortunately, a spring broke. It's not common. Your friend sounds like he had his timing belt break, which was probably due to the crappy tensioner they put in for a while. There is a fix, AoA has yet to own up to it and cover it under warranty, fortunately, a lot of times it occurs under the 50k mark. We all hear about the bad stories out there, honestly, I think yours is a good one. It sucks that you had it happen, but at least it's warrantied and you have your car back in a couple days. Don't sweat it. The engine is pretty solid, just keep driving.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this your first new car?

I ask about it being your first new car because in my experience the first malfunction is often <i>such a very big deal</i> to someone who hasn't owned a new car before. Kinda like a new mother the first time her baby gets sick. "What??? A malfunction with only 16,000 miles on it??? MY GOD!!" I'm not trying to belittle your situation, but do please take a deep breath and pause for a minute. You've had a relatively minor thing happen, roadside assistance handled you at night ("100 minutes!?!" Hey man, it ain't like a 911 emergency), no hassle from the dealership about it, it's getting fixed.....is this really such an "ordeal"?

Sounds like a fluke, this spring breaking. If it's getting fixed, I wouldn't worry about it. The 1.8 is generally a very reliable engine.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Elder Member

Default So its OK to wait 100 minutes, say if you're stuck on the bad side of town??

Sorry....no excuses, a 2001 should NOT break down to the point where it cannot be driven. What if you're wife/girlfriend/mother, was stuck in 15 degree weather, lets assume the bad side of town, in the middle of the night...would the glass still be 1/2 full?
Old 02-12-2002, 10:25 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You're not driving a Honda.

German cars will not run flawlessly for 100K miles as often as a Japanese car. Get used to that idea, or sell your car, and buy Japanese.

With that said, if you're willing to accept your car's occassional hiccups, it's a great car. Don't get bent out of shape over these things, and don't make them out to be more than they are. Your coworker's experience was certainly out of the norm.

My last piece of advice is do NOT drive you car at all, if the CEL is flashing! It will not simply go away. Take a minute to re-read your owners manual if you are ever in doubt about what you should do!

Just for comparison...
My car has about 44K miles on it now. So far, I've had a leaky water pump, a bad secondary air injector, and a noisy secondary fan. None have left me stranded and the car starts up every morning.

In the 100K I had my Acura, it had rusted heat shields, a leaky power steering pump, bad door lock control module, and a bad B pipe on my exhaust.

I would say I've had twice as many problems with the Audi, compared to the Acura (when you factor in the miles), but again, most of the things that go wrong can be fixed at my convenience. I think your case was just bad luck, nothing more.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My A4 has about 48K on it, and I haven't had a problem, or any signs of a problem.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:49 AM

Default Would it make it any better WITHOUT roadside assistance ???

Hey......if your looking for a car that doesn't break down......good-luck !!

Quick Reply: I've got a story to tell. (long.)