A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I've narrowed chip choices between T.A.P. and Wett 1 bar.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-1999, 01:52 PM
sdb

Default I've narrowed chip choices between T.A.P. and Wett 1 bar.

Any information you can give to help me decide between T.A.P. and Wett would be appreciated. I like the idea of the 1 bar Wett chip but concerned about straining the turbo.
Old 01-04-1999, 03:32 PM
Ben Liaw

Default Re: get the TAP because...

i've studied the articles and the sites...<p>sure EC said that WETT and TAP were the best in a recent article, but there's more to it.<p>i know that the WETT goes to 1 bar (14.7 psi) for their hp gains (around 50hp). TAP only has to go 12psi for the same 50hp. to me, that says less strain on the turbo.<p>plus, the TAP is a bit cheaper.<p>i can hardly wait to get the custom made exhaust on and chip the car now that i have over 1000 miles on it.
Old 01-04-1999, 03:40 PM
Kevin M

Default Re: I've narrowed chip choices between T.A.P. and Wett 1 bar.

I've had the Wetterauer chip installed since May of 98 with no evidence of turbo deterioration.<br>I now have 40,000 miles on my A4.<p>There appears to be a misconception that installing a performance chip overstresses the 'mechanicals' all the time - wrong!<p>The chip provides increased performance, but only when demanded, which would be a relatively small percentage of daily driving time for most people.<p>Like most pieces of mechanical/electrical equipment there will be a reduction in life expectancy based on time operated at elevated temps. Unless you plan to drive in low gears at high rpm for 100% of the time I wouldn't be too concerned.<p>The best thing the chip did for my vehicle was to provide improved acceleration during my 80 mile round trip commute on I-95 during morning and evening rush hour.<p>
Old 01-04-1999, 03:40 PM
LEO

Are you concerned about your warrenty? Well with WETT you get your 50hp plus the option to switch back your original chip within minutes. Now that is something.
Old 01-04-1999, 03:55 PM
Dave

Default Re: I've narrowed chip choices between T.A.P. and Wett 1 bar.

The Spring 1999 issue of Street Power magazine(I read it at Barnes& Noble) compares chips from TAP, Wett, AMS and Hoppen. It has good technical info for your decision. They do not however choose a clear winner. They seem to say the TAP chip is best but the Hoppen has the widest torque curve and the Wett is the best at 0-60. They also do not list the prices. <br>Good Luck.<br>Dave A4 1.8T Avant QMS
Old 01-04-1999, 04:12 PM
RC

Default Wett not the best 0-60 or 50-70 times in EC article

I have this article and the Tap chip had the best 50-70 times. The AMS chip had the best 0-60 times. However, clearly their was no winner and the article left me with the impression that any of these chips would be a good choice. <br>If I had to choose between Tap and Wett. is would be Tap, for several reasons: established here a lot longer, better price and upgrades are much better (they work).
Old 01-04-1999, 04:30 PM
JT

Good ol' I-95, eh? CT?
Old 01-04-1999, 04:33 PM
PHIL S

Default Re:Very Old article....

This is the same lame article that appeared 8 or 9 months ago in Ero. car mag, and these articles usually take three months to get to press the first time. I say lame because the 0-60 times they got were about the same as most car mags got on none chipped cars, also the chips they tested have all been updated and changed since then so use it as a base line only, and consider that at least 4 more companies are offering chips since that article was written.The only good thing that article showed was that chipping really does give 30 to 50 hp and big torque improvement.
Old 01-04-1999, 04:34 PM
JT

Default Why have you ruled out Hoppen/MTM?

I plan on purchasing a chip come spring and am considering all three, but I think I'm leaning more towards TAP and Hoppen. Why have you ruled out the Hoppen chip?<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 01-04-1999, 04:45 PM
Phil S

Default Re: A socketed chip will not save you...

On the 97 alone, Audi had three Software versions on the ECU in order to fix problems, and that does not include the version changes for automatics, which had lots of problems.If you put back in you stock chip in a Wett setup and go to the dealer with a running problem, and they decide you need a new ECU with updated software, you will loose your socketed unit. The old ECU's are all held by the dealer, then sent to Audi AG, they then look at EVERY ECU returned. If they find the unit was modified (and they will) they will turn down the dealers warranty claim, and you will get a phone call. Now this will only happen if they replace your ECU for some reason, but this is common. The idea that a socket will save you is false. If you do not have a problem that makes them want to change your ECU, then you do not need a socket anyway! I have been in this mess and also worked for dealers for 11 years, the only really safe way is a second stock ECU.

Quick Reply: I've narrowed chip choices between T.A.P. and Wett 1 bar.