A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just got off the Phone w/Brian's Garage...After all my research on H&R CO's...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got off the Phone w/Brian's Garage...After all my research on H&R CO's...

They said that from experience, because the H&R springs are progressive not linear they tend to collapse after only a few months. He said it's happened on every one he's done. Anyone else have any experience with this? He recommended a linear spring with Bilstein shocks over the H&R CO setup for a more aggressive street driving setup. Why haven't I heard about this before? Most of the posts I've read on H&R CO's are very positive...ANy inpput appreciated!

Reid<ul><li><a href="http://www.briansgarage.com">http://www.briansgarage.com</a</li></ul>
Old 01-16-2003, 11:37 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default 17K miles on my H&R CO'd A4 contradicts his observations.

The car drove GREAT, but I eventually returned the car to stock and sold it. The new owner of the coilovers is exceptionally pleased with the handling, and he comes from a VW background, where he has modded and driven them aggressively.

I don't want to say this mechanic is lying, but his experiences are VERY DIFFERENT from what myself and others have experienced with H&amp;R. I would disregard his thoughts.

The weak points on the H&amp;R's are a small number of shocks tend to blow out (H&amp;R will warranty these for the original purchaser), and the rear shocks may "clunk" a bit, since one of the factory bolts feeds through the H&amp;R shock body, with a little more play than it should really have (doesn't affect performance, it's just a nuisance).
Old 01-16-2003, 11:39 AM

He recommended the Shine Racing Springs...I don't know if these are even available for the A4
Old 01-16-2003, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Do this:

Call brian's garage (pretend to be someone else) tell him you'd like to drop buy and buy the H&amp;R co/s and want to make sure they have them in stock.

80% they don't have them in
100% they have bilstein's in stock
Old 01-16-2003, 11:50 AM

What about Linear Vs. Progressive Springs? He seemed to think Linear was THE way to go...
Old 01-16-2003, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My gf got her H&R c/o installed there

and we haven't noticed any problem with it. We've even been to the track a couple of times with the setup already.

I have to say tho, if you are after a firm ride, Bilstein and H&amp;R springs is a good setup. C/O's are softer.

Cris
Old 01-16-2003, 11:51 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, I will say that I like the feel of a linear spring more than a progressive spring...

but, I like the feel of a matched shock/spring combo a whole lot more! So given the choice, I would take the H&amp;R Coilovers.

That said, I've driven in a car with Hyperco Linear Rate Springs (450F/500R) and Bilsteins. I liked that set up as well. The Bilsteins do seem to work very well with those springs.

I agree with dspy...call them back up (no need to conceil your identity...it'll just **** em off), tell them you think you want the H&amp;R's, but you're in a bit of a hurry...how long is the wait to get them. Then ask the same with the "Shine Racing Springs" and Bilsteins. That should uncover any ulterior motives, if you're worried about that.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not sure if they stock shocks/springs...

it's just a garage... literally - couple of lifts and lots of little things here and there.
The do good work tho - they service my A4 and Scirocco 16v.

Cris
Old 01-16-2003, 11:56 AM

Default From what people say they are reputable, so I'm not so concerned about ulterior motives as I am

about having all of the information before making my decision. I had pretty much decided on the H&amp;R coilover setup and had not heard anyone complain about the springs failing, and I want to make sure I have as much info as possible. Ideally I guess I should try to get a ride in a few different cars with different setups...If anyone in the Boston area is willing I'm up for it!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:03 PM

you seem to know everything about susp, RKA. I gotta ask you more about them to find me a set.

Quick Reply: Just got off the Phone w/Brian's Garage...After all my research on H&R CO's...