A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just got off the Phone w/Brian's Garage...After all my research on H&R CO's...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:06 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wouldn't say H&R springs and bilsteins are softer...

than the coilovers. Assuming you're talking about the H&R sport springs and Bilsteins, that set up has a little more road harshness, but in terms of body control, the H&R's are much more capable of keeping the car flat in quick transitions, or up and down motions going through road undulations. I think the matching shock and spring on the H&R coilovers takes away a bit of the harshness that you get in the Bilstein/H&R set up. Are you sure you're not confusing harshness and stiffness?

They are all subjective opinions of course...
Old 01-16-2003, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default what did you tell him you wanted to do with your car?

track time? just agressive street? they may be making their recommendation based on their interpretation of your needs.

clarify what you are looking for and ask for example of this "collapse". i've never heard of it, but definitely linear springs provide consistency and predictability that is hard to match with progressives.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:08 PM

are there any matched springs/shocks without heigh adj? I don't care much for it if I can save $
Old 01-16-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Told him I wanted a street setup with a lower stance and better handling...not too specific...

One of the reasons I like the idea of the CO's is the height adjustability, so I can dial it in right where I want it for looks, practicality, and handling...
Old 01-16-2003, 12:12 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Absolutely...and ask shine racing if they can help you out with that...

The best way to make this decision is to evaluate it for yourself. After driving a car, and deciding you've got an adequate feel for the car, continue to drive it twice as long. Trust me, it takes me no less than 3 weeks to feel out a suspension. One short test drive won't do it, one long test drive will be a little bit better. Write down your observations in contrast to your current suspension. Odds are you won't be able to compare the two set ups back to back, but you will be able to compare each set up in relation to your current set up (which you know best). Review your thoughts on each, and make your decision.

Yes, Shine Racing does have an excellent reputation...which puzzles me all the more...because their observations on the H&R CO's are not remotely consistent with my experiences.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:20 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think KW and Eibach market fixed height set ups.

Not sure if the springs and shocks are *well* matched or not, but they are marketed as a "kit" whatever that might mean. My interpretations is that they are matched, but that's more assumption than anything else. Whether they make FWD kits is another matter as well...you'll have to do some homework.

There is a company in OH I think (Truchoice) that will custom valve a Koni Shock for whatever spring you intend to use. You have to give them specifics on the spring though (spring rate...but with progressive rate springs, this is a can of worms, because the rate is not constant).
Old 01-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Former Vendor

Default Collapse?

Could he just be referring to the fact that you end up with some dead coils?

The dead coils are necessary otherwise the spring may not sit tightly between the upper and lower spring caps.

If by collapse, he means that the spring physically fail and fall apart, I'm sure H&R would love to hear about it.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Former Vendor

Default A couple

H&R Cupkit, Vogtland Sport Kit, for example are two, but marketed for the FWD cars only.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:26 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Everything is not what it seems...

I have a good deal of experience with suspensions on these cars for use on the street (and I've got the associated credit card receipts to show for it! :-( ). What I don't have is track experience with these set ups. I think street conditions are very demanding, and so are track conditions. Each environment places slightly different demands on a suspension. On a track, you'll see quick and fast transitions that you generally won't see on the street. On the street, you'll see complex road conditions that are far from the smooth conditions that you'll see on a track.

There are some other folks here...Dingster and markbradford are just two that come to mind...that can add a whole new level of enlightenment to this subject based on their track and suspension experiences.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:30 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default He's got a FWD...

and perhaps a hard on by now!

Quick Reply: Just got off the Phone w/Brian's Garage...After all my research on H&R CO's...