A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just got one of the last Borla Audi exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2000, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got one of the last Borla Audi exhausts

I learned today that Borla won't be offering their Audi line of exhaust systems anymore after all the flak they recieved over the fitment (even though they've straightened things out [or maybe just bent them in a different way]).

I got lucky, in talking with Todd at A.W.E. today learned that while they had no more Borla systems for the manual they did have one tiptronic version left.

Needless to say I snapped it up.

Andy Blake
98.5 A4 1.8TQTip Euro Lights, Borla soon
Old 03-16-2000, 06:39 PM

what?? argh. what am i supposed to buy now? triflow for 700bux??
Old 03-17-2000, 08:20 AM

Default Re: what?? argh. what am i supposed to buy now? triflow for 700bux??

neuspeed perhaps?
Old 03-17-2000, 01:46 PM

Default We don't know if they have straightened themselves out or not. (more...)

Neuspeed has a test jig they mount their exhausts in after they receive them from Borla to verify that they will fit properly before they re-ship them to customers. 10 out of 14 of the most recent shipment of "corrected" exhausts were returned to Borla due to "defects" (production variances, things welded in the wrong place, etc.).

I then asked Neuspeed if any any of the "corrected" exhausts being shipped were for Tiptronics, or were they manual only? They said they would check into this and let me know. That was last Friday (3/10). Still no word. I suspect that Borla never even investigated corrections of exhausts for tiptronics, thus requiring them to revisit the whole "correction" project now for a slightly different type of car, with a combined manual + tiptronic market probably averaging no more than 20-30 exhaust systems a year (just a guess). Hmm, if you were Borla, what kind of business decision would you make here?

This latest bit of news indicates that Borla may have just given up on us altogether.

I also sent e-mail to someone named Sal at Borla whom I was told by both Neuspeed and APR would be responsive to some questions I had. That was also on 3/10. I got no response whatsoever. Based on this, I can see that Borla's customer service now bears the same level of quality as their exhaust systems.

I have seen Borla exhausts on Camaros and Corvettes. They bounce up and down. Definitely not my idea of a quality product. It's a shame, really, because Borla used to have such a good reputation.

A lot of people have been burned by this, and now it appears the Audi folks are to be abandoned? I think Borla should be held accountable somehow. Am I out of my tree? What do other people think?

Remember that most of what I write here is based on speculation. Would anyone from Borla like to make a statement?

Paul
'98.5 A4 1.8TQTS w/POS Borla exhaust