A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just had my clutch replaced, and I have some questions for the mechanically inclined...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 05:51 AM
sc

Default Just had my clutch replaced, and I have some questions for the mechanically inclined...

Last week, my clutch pedal was stuck half way in (a problem that others here have experienced). One week and two loaner cars later, they have replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, master cylinder and a bunch of other stuff. Two things I noticed this morning: the clutch now engages 2 inches from the bottom, instead of 2 inches from the top of its travel. I don't mind, because it is actually easier for me to shift smoother, but how can this be? I've been told in the past by this dealership that the engagement cannot be adjusted, but now it has been. Did they put something in backward?

Secondly, after driving a while, I can smell clutch when I stand next to the wheel well. Is this just because the clutch is new? Thanks.
Old 12-15-1999, 08:37 AM
bernie

Default Some answers...

It sounds like they took no chances and just replaced everything that could have contributed to your problem. When they reassembled the pedal linkage, they may have adjusted it differently than it originally was. Also, since they replaced so much, it will definitely have a different "feel" than it previously did. It sounds to me like perhaps your engagement is a tad low. If this persists, or becomes a problem, have them readjust the pedal linkage. This will bring that pedal up a bit.

#2: With a new clutch, it will smell a bit when used until it breaks in. There is a possibility that it may be misadjusted, but I would wait 50-100 miles to see if that goes away before I would get worried about it.

HTH!

>>>>>Bernie
Old 12-15-1999, 09:09 AM
sc

Thanks, Bernie!