A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Just installed the APR EMCS... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2000, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed the APR EMCS... (long)

Just put in my APR modified ECU with APR's new Enhanced Modular Chip System (EMCS)...

First impressions:

It's very easy to switch between "stock" and "tuned" programs at any time. I purchased these two programs and the option to cancel the Fault Codes and re-set the Throttle Body.

I like the the ability to switch back and forth between programs even more than I thought I would. I can see there may be occasions where it would be nice to have access to the OE programming (bad weather, trip to the dealer, loaning your car).

Of course, it's good for showing off to your friends too! I especially like putting it in stock mode then doing a few runs, letting them think it's in the 1.0bar program then saying "oh, I guess it should, like, turn it on..."... OK, I'm a bit of a child at heart...

Completely subjective impression, but I somehow find that APR's programming is smoother than my OE one. Perhaps I'm dreaming...

The 1.0bar APR program is outstanding. Very smooth torque and hp delivery right to 5000rpm or so where it levels off. Extremely easy to
drive, very impressive power. No apparent problems. I still have stock intake and exhaust.

I've only had the "chip" a few days but I'm already finding that, during my daily routine driving, I'm actually being easier on the
engine. I guess because there's so much more power everywhere there's less reason to rev the heck out of it. In fact, with my stock exhaust
and intake, the power does "level out" at about 5000rpms anyway; it's more "fun" to drive in the 2-4500 rev range with part throttle now.

APR were a pleasure to deal with, even with the complicated production of sending it across the border (I'm in Toronto).

I'm extremely impressed and would recommend this (based on first impressions) to everyone.
Old 08-04-2000, 09:24 AM

IMO besides taking it in for service, I can't imagine having a reason set it back to stock.
Old 08-04-2000, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: IMO besides taking it in for service, I can't imagine having a reason set it back to stock.

Makes for an impressive demonstration during "test drives". Keep in mind that more programs can be added (total of four I think) so if you let your kid drive it you can put it in a "valet" program, or if you use race gas you can take full advantage of the higher octane.

I didn't think I'd use it much, and may not in future, but so far I'm enjoying the feature, gimmicky or no.

Tim.
Old 08-04-2000, 09:45 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the valet mode rev limits at 4k and 40mph

That I think is a nice piece of mind feature...especially with an S4.
Old 08-04-2000, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Just installed the APR EMCS... (long)

TimM from Toronto,
I am interested in knowing how much it cost you to purchase the ECU and programs, ship it across the border, duty and GST, etc. I just wanted to know because I am from Waterloo, and it would probably cost me the same.
Can you estimate the hp, torque gain when you have the chip in "performance" mode?
Your setup is pretty much exactly the same as what I would like to do.
Old 08-04-2000, 10:23 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Loaning it out. Diagnose a problem to see if it's chip or turbo related...

3. detune for "guests" like inlaws.
4. save gas on long highway hauls.
5. hide from your significant other that you blew the grocery money on a "toy"

6. Keep the sone from barfing in the rear seat.
7. personal/masochistic punishment
8. a change of pace/take it easy that day because you might go postal otherwise.

9. remind yourself that the cost justifies the means

10. can't think of another.<p>
Old 08-04-2000, 10:25 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default They can set it to anything you like too... FYI

<p>
Old 08-04-2000, 10:29 AM

Default Great Review. Q: what's the throttle body reset for?

<p>-elton

2001 1.8TQSXTip

Old 08-04-2000, 10:39 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was just using what you told me man! =)

Plus I was driving around yesterday thinking 4/40 is a pretty nice number i would have done 3.5/30 =)
Old 08-04-2000, 10:47 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I KNOW! I just wanted to make sure folks know it's flexible...

<p>

Quick Reply: Just installed the APR EMCS... (long)