A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

just installed my uuc short shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed my uuc short shifter...

took about 2 hrs, and that included running to the hardware store for a ring-clip pliers, and 6mm allen key.

everything was very straightforward, except that damn pivot nut/bolt... good greif!

also, the uuc instructions say that the new shifter fits "assembled" through the little hole. no way this thing fits, no matter which way you turn the shifter! did ANYONE successfully slip it into this impossible hole?

wondering how i did it then? i disassembled the 2 pieces (as removal of the stock one) slipped the long arm through and attached it underneath with the bolt. patience is a must!

well, the shifter is everything youve ever heard about it. i must be a great mechanic, because mine did not need any adjustments whatsoever. i tightened the bolts, and ran it thru the gears perfectly. it is smooth and short and precise. but i found this out after driving it just how "short" the throw is. because sitting there, in my parked car, i thought "umm... this doesnt feel any shorter. its just like my stock shifter... did i waste my money?" driving reveals the difference in feel.

i love it...
Old 04-07-2001, 02:21 PM

Default Re: just installed my uuc short shifter...

the neuspeed install instructions call for you unbolting the housing and dropping it down. It then allowed you to take the whole housing out so you did not have to work in a confined area. It made the install MUCH easier to remove the whole piece. Anyway, I just thought I would throw my thoughts out. Maybe I will get ambitious and write up the install that I did...going back and taking picutes as well. I think taking a little bit from both instruction sets makes the install a breeze. Hmmm..now I just need time to do it.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:27 PM

Default Muahahahaha! Had the same experience when...

...I installed mine. Whoever wrote those instructions was dreamin'. You CANNOT get the assembled shifter through that tiny hole. You have to take it apart (you follow the same steps for removal, but in reverse.)

VERY IMPORTANT: Did you remember to use LOC-TITE on that PITA bolt. If not, go dab a drop on the end of the nut ASAP. I heard somebody's came loose and they were stranded w/o the proper tools to fix it.

P.S. Does there seem to be an excessive amount of slop in the ball pivot. When not in gear I can pull up and push down on my shifter and IT MOVES, about .5 millimeters or 1 millimeter or so. Just wondering.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I hear ya man...

when I played with one while parked, it didn't feel any different than stock. When I drove it...it was like night and day. Short and precise.
Old 04-07-2001, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I put mine in pre-assembled, no problem. Maybe '97's are different.