A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

K&N filter always better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 08:15 AM
NickS

Default Not true......

I had an 87' Z24 and used a G-tech to see if the filter actually made a difference or not. With about 5 runs, it showed that I got almost 1 full second off the 0-60 times. Not only that but in almost every car I have owend, the filter made throttle response a little sharper. It won't make HUGE differences but sometimes the little ones are worth it.
Old 08-25-1999, 10:02 AM
Mike D.

Default Re: Not true......

1 full second from an airfilter? I highly doubt it. There could be a number of conditions that led to that event. Where the conditions (ie, temperature, humidity, etc...) the same when you tested with and w/out the airfilter? If not, that can make a difference. Do you relize to get a full (or near full) second of a cars 0-60 time takes a lot more hp than the gain(probably 1-2hp, if that) a K&N airfilter can give you.

The K&N filter shows it's strength when on a highly modified car. Increases in the intake and more boost will benefit more from a K&N over a stock filter, that's why most tuners always use K&N's. The only difference you'll see on a stock car is that you don't have to throw it out because you can service it.

Mike D.
Old 08-25-1999, 11:21 AM
MartinR

Yes- but increased throttle response does not necessarily mean more HP (nt)......
Old 08-25-1999, 02:34 PM
Tony

Default I agree. K&N may flow better, but at the expense of filtering.

NT
Old 08-25-1999, 05:16 PM
RTM

Default Missed part of my point

What I was saying toward the end of my message is that many manufacturers are willing to spend big bucks on an engine for a few horsepower. (How much does Double Vanos cost BMW? Maybe $500 per engine?) Well if they could get a few more hp for only an extra $20 or so for a better filter, I would bet they would probably do it. Actually, in a lot of cases, they could just use a bigger stock filter, costing very little more.

Also, in mass production, a K&N type filter wouldn't cost much, maybe a couple of bucks extra per filter. (Maybe lots more extra for the consumer trying to replace an old one, of course).
Old 08-26-1999, 12:11 PM
R. Renyer

Default Re: Being an engineer I have my doubts...

Believe it!
We ( US Army Propulsion) are developing barrier filters using K&N media for use on some of our helicopters. The K&N media works so well primarily because of the tack barrier formed by the oil sprayed onto the filter. The dust sticks to the oil, not the cotton. All of the data we have shows that it has the lowest pressure drop and highest filtration efficiency out there.