A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Keep A4? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep A4? (long)

Love my A4, but alot of stupid little problems give me little confidence in any sort of long-term ownership. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am going to get rid of it no later than 50,000 miles, which is still about 40,000 more miles. Two trips to the dealer for unsceduled maintenance and under 10,000 miles - I never had to do this with any car before.

No bashing, just objective opinions please. I am leasing, 39 mos., paying for 20,000 miles a year because I drive alot. So I am allowed 65,000 miles by the end of my 39 mos. By current estimates, I will still be over my lease by about $1200-$1500 in penalties at $0.15 per mile. So, I pay to get out of the lease now or pay to turn in the car (plus $300 turn-in fee) later.

I also don't want to lease again. I want to finance, and I want to buy something that will be cheap to maintain that I can keep for 200,000 miles. This points me back to my trusty old Honda products, or at least a Japanese car.

If I do get a new car, I have a $25,000 ceiling - this plus the cost of getting out of my lease will make my payments "affordable."

WHAT SHOULD TOGAR DO:

1) Keep A4 till end of lease, pay about $1800 to hand in the car and then finance something new

2) Get rid of A4 now, pay about $3000 now to get out of lease and finance new car now

I am thinking about the WRXtra-ugly (becuase it's awd and fun, although did I mention it's not much better looking than an Aztek) or the Acura RSX (not awd, probably just as much fun) as reliable, cheap-to-maintain replacement cars. Also consideing switching to manual transmission.

TO SUM UP

1) KEEP A4 till warranty is up?
2) DUMP A4, finance WRX automatic now
3) DUMP A4, finance WRX manual now
4) DUMP A4, finance RSX automatic now
5) DUMP A4, finance RSX Type-S manual now
6) KEEP A4, finance at end and pray nothing expensive goes wrong

HELP...
Old 05-14-2001, 07:08 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what were the problems?
Old 05-14-2001, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I were in your position.....

I'd plan to keep the A4 until the warranty is up, provided that the problems you've had aren't too serious and you aren't spending an unreasonable amount of time at the dealer for warranty work.

If it got too bad, I'd go for option 5.

Except for the tie-rod recall, which was handled well by my dealer, my A4 experience has been great. At this point I'm looking at another Audi product for my next car.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:21 AM

Default Re: what were the problems?

Nothing major mechanically. Non-opening door handle, alarm going off for no reason and arming itself while I am in the car, car almost stalling when compressor kicks in even though idle has been set properly, numerous disappearing and reappearing squeaks and rattles.

It says mfr. date was 10-00 - perhaps during Oktoberfest? Down a few steins of Spaten, screw together a few Audis lol...
Old 05-14-2001, 07:24 AM

Default Here's what I think you should do...

Having driven the WRX 5-speed, I can say that I honestly really like the car but I'm not willing to go from an Audi to a Subaru. I might when the STi version comes out but even then, i'll probably be trading my '96 A4 in for the newest S4 or TT on the lot. 3000 dollars is a lot of money and your 25,000 dollar ceiling just went to 28,000. What problems are you having with the car? I would put up with the problems if they're minor and just get them worked out. The car is under warranty I assume and if the car is a lemon then the dealer will buy it back. Remeber, if it has **** or tires, eventually you're going to have problems with it.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Haha. Nice closing sentence! :-D
Old 05-14-2001, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default here's the way i see it...

i've had so much stuff replaced/repaired (on my '97) that by the time my warranty runs out it will be a new car! i know it doesn't always work out that way, but i truly feel my car runs better now than the day a i bought it. maybe i'm just an optimist.

i'd keep it. because after all, it is an audi!
Old 05-14-2001, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're obviously unhappy and clearly not an Audi enthusiast. Get out now and buy a Honda...

I mean no disrespect, but seriously, if all you're looking for is bulletproof reliability, you're not going to find it in an Audi.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:52 AM

Default My Audi is as good as my Honda for reliability.

Each car had a few 'minor' problems. Small initial defects are not unusual in any car. Don't get too worried yet.

If you drive reasonably I think your A4 should be fine. (Remember Honda is pretty much a domestic now, (not that there's anything wrong with that...).
Old 05-14-2001, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Togar Dump A4 Get Acura Now . . . . .

I don't even have 10K miles yet and the rear suspension is creaking/rubbing when I go over bumps. I leaned over to take a look at the suspension parts and the little paper stickers from the factory are still there ... this puppy is still in mint condition.

It's a very pretty car, and nothing rides like an Audi, but I will definitely get rid of it before the warranty runs out.

99.5 1.8TQM - 100% stock, 9,500 miles

Quick Reply: Keep A4? (long)