A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Knocking noise and oil burning smell .... Display on screen beeping but I can't see..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise and oil burning smell .... Display on screen beeping but I can't see..

What it is since my display needs replacement.... 2000 1.8t with auto trans Quattro any ideas ???? Any help is appreciated ....
Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the level of detail you provided...

Take it to a good mechanic.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah .... But no codes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by imok
Yeah .... But no codes
what kind of knocking sound?
where is it coming from when you lift the hood and listen to it?
is it steady or does its frequency increase with the RPMs?
does it ever stop?

any oil drips on the ground?
any oil on the sides of the engine?

see what I've done here? if you can't be bothered to provide details, how can anybody help you?

your knocking could be nothing, or it could be extremely serious (timing belt related).

you'll have to take the car to a competent audi shop anyway, if you want some solutions
Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default more details

ok the knocking does not go away and the timing belt is not it because i changed it 2 months ago....unless is the tensioner that i didnt change...i did change the pulley........anyways it doesnt go away and sounds like a lifter but im not sure......no oil spilling at all.......i hear my display beeping but i cant read it and since the check engine light doesnt light up i get nothing...........white smoke comes out when u rev the engine.....and the sounds comes out by the head....
Old 05-25-2012, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

White smoke is not good, obviously. It could be something like your coolant temp sensor.

Does your check engine light work? When you put the key in and turn te ignition on (before you start the car), do you see the CEL? Sometimes those lights are taped off.

The best solution is to get the car scanned, if you don't have a scanner (even OBD-II would help), you'll have to take it in.

Your oil burning smell mean that oil is seeping out somewhere in the engine bay. Could be valve cover gaskets, or some other plugs. Take a look at each side of the engine, see if there's anything wet there.

If you listen to the noise, is it from the front of the engine (timin belt components), or from the top?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so Now the noise is gone and it's operating normal.... I was able to find what light was on the display and it was the oil light.... Low o pressure??? Oil pump???
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there oil in the engine? Where is it on the dip stick?

When you drive, does your CEL come on, as you go through mid and upper RPMs?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oil is normal and it comes on at idle and when driving ..... Before it was beeping all the time and coming on all the time.... Today it seems ok and it came on only once..... It seems as I'd the oil pressure is dropping the light comes on and the noise starts
Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Btw what's CEL? And on the stick is on the normal operating level.....

Quick Reply: Knocking noise and oil burning smell .... Display on screen beeping but I can't see..