A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Koni Coil Over question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Koni Coil Over question...

I just got my CO's today...looks to me like they sell you the same set for 1.8T and 2.8 is this right? I'm looking at the TUV certificate and it says B5 as if it was certified to be used on both the 1.8T and 2.8, I hope to god they have different spring rates for the two engines?

It says I have 1150-5018 this sounds right?

The rear spring is 2220-1324
The front Spring is 2220-1295

The Front Shock is SPD50 1150-5018
The Rear Shock is a bunch of numbers as follows
8210 1162SPD55 3900

The kit also only came with one wrench...is that normal for the Koni kits? I notice that most seem to come with two wrenches.

Build quality seems pretty decent...could be a little better...could be lots worse. The adjustable perches seem to get beat up pretty badly in shipping...but they're just dings and such nothing that would impair their function...they thread smoothly etc. Koni should put more effort into the package...they've got lots of cardboard but it's being used inefficiently so things still get banged around in the box...but these are rugged devices...I mean look where they're going...they'd better be.

Anyhow they don't look as sexy as the H&R's do in the pics...but then the H&R's aren't adjustable at all (damping) and the pics are teeny tiny so you can't tell much about quality.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Koni Coil-Overs (next week), Neuspeed 19mm Rear Anti-Sway, StopTech A4 Brake System, SS Brake Lines, Pagid Performance Friction (soon), Oettinger Pedal Set + Dead, Oettinger RE's 17x8, Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, European Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV & RS4 Grill)
Old 03-26-2001, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are you suppose to adjust with only one wrench?
Old 03-26-2001, 10:18 PM

Default Fortunately...

James, you and all of the rest of us in SoCal are lucky enough to live close to the only Koni factory authorized custom rebuild center in the US. They happen to have taken care of my RX-7 for all the years I had it. They'll be doing my suspension on the Audi, too. They are really top notch Mazda and BMW race tuners, but suspension is their forte. They also do H&Rs and are going to let me try both on for size. If you have any issue with the Koni kit, call them. TriPoint Engineering, of Canoga Park.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Adjustment is not the problem...getting a good bind is...I dunno what the deal is.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool I'll keep that in mind...

I'm just having some second thoughts...I'm looking at a ton of money for install and alignment etc so I want to make sure what ever I put on is right the first time. Now I'm getting concerned that the adjustability might prove to be a problem...aka too easy for someone to f$#k up. Maybe the H&R kit would make more sense...at least that's a fixed set of parameters which are engineered into the product...problem with that is if you don't like what you've got your stuck...hmm. I've heard the H&R's are awfully soft...that I certainly don't want that either. Damn suspension...I've got issues, I have now a set of Koni Coil Overs and a set of Eibach Pro-Kits sitting on the floor...the Pro-Kits are going back and now I'm not even sure what I want to do with the Konis ughh someone set me straight.

Maybe I'll take a look at the Vortrag Fixed Height setup Clark was raving about...ughh.

Regards,

James R.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:46 PM

Default Hey James! *Another* toy for the car? :)

Last I heard you were just getting the Stoptech brakes. How are those, btw?
Old 03-26-2001, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah I can't stop buying $HIT it's out of freakin control...the ST brakes are sitting on the floor

behind me ;-) I'm waiting on some custom parts I had to have made to get them to fit under my Oettinger wheels ;-( basically hats with built in spacing...instead of running a wheel spacer. Once the fabricator is done with the machine work I'll have the brakes on and will post my opinion. Just looking at the parts I've got to say they're top notch...very nice indeed. You're welcome to stop buy some time if you'd like to see them in person.

Now the Coil Overs are the latest thing for me to sweat about, I'm just a little concerned about the damping settings and whether or not they use the same spring set for the 1.8T and the 2.8 if they do I'm lible to send them back cause that's just whack IMHO unless that's what all the CO makers do...which I doubt.

Looking at the Koni RWTUV compliance sheet I see that they got approval on two Front Springs and only one Rear spring so I'm hoping that this means they have one spring for the 2.8 (Front) and one for the 1.8T (Front) and the two cars share the same rear spring which would makes sense IMHO.

I'd just, "try" them out but putting them on and off will get pretty expensive quick...esp with AMS doing the work.

Regards,

James R.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW - 19mm Neuspeed Anti-Sway also sitting on the floor...among other things
Old 03-26-2001, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default James- I dont want to mess things up further but........

Blisten Has a line of ADJUSTABLE coil overs.
They look pretty too.

The great thing is that - They have 9 preset settings for damping, so you know that your suspension is even if you set it to 4 clicks at each end. Its 9 clicks End to end about 340 degree rotation total.

And as for adjusting the height, i think they have set marks on the body for each level.
The kit is GREAT, when I get my next car, ill go for the Blistens. (this one has 6 month left) Maybe a tt.

Blisten has a great name, AND i think they supply H&R with there kits too.

ADJUSTABLE DAMPNING. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 03-26-2001, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well I've been looking at the papers some more and it seems

that they have certified two front springs and one rear spring for this car...so I must assume the two front springs account for the 2.8 and 1.8T spring rate needs.

As for the shock and perches...they seem just fine, I doubt Koni winds their own springs...I know they build their own shocks, and they're good hell they're OEM on Ferarri etc. I was just concerned that they were using one spring rate for both cars...if that were the case I'd send em back in a heartbeat. Actually once you get them all put together they're pretty sexy...any of the little knicks on the perch are just that knicks...some are hardly visible, I'm just very picky about these sorts of things.

Regards,

James R.

Quick Reply: Koni Coil Over question...